Massive increase in blood sugar levels

Dizzylish78

I've had the same breakfast I usually have but my levels have gone from 6.6 to 17.2 - I've never had such a big increase. Should I be concerned?

D

Deleted Account

My first suggestion would be to wash your hands thoroughly and take another reading - you may have had some carbs on your hands or your meter may just be having a funny turn (they are not accurate all the time).
You don't say what type of diabetes you have or how you treat your diabetes.
If you are type 1, it may be that your insulin did not work. This could be due to your pen (or pump) not working properly or your insulin has gone "off" and needs to be changed.
Sorry, but I cannot offer suggestions if you are not type 1 as I have no other experience.

I hope your BG comes down soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had the same breakfast I usually have but my levels have gone from 6.6 to 17.2 - I've never had such a big increase. Should I be concerned?
My first suggestion would be to wash your hands thoroughly and take another reading - you have have some carbs on your hands or your meter may just be having a funny turn (they are not accurate all the time).
You don't say what type of diabetes you have or how you treat your diabetes.
If you are type 1, it may be that your insulin did not work. This could be due to your pen (or pump) not working properly or your insulin has gone "off" and needs to be changed.
Sorry, but I cannot offer suggestions if you are not type 1 as I have no other experience.

I hope your BG comes down soon.

Reactions: Dizzylish78

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . The OP was in the type 2 section of the forum, so assume we are talking T2.
But like yourself I think more information is needed in order for T2's on the site to offer advice and help.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you say what your"Usual" breakfast consists of and are you type 1 or 2? I agree with Helensaramay,s suggestions
completely.......may I suggest you do what a large percentage of our members do and get a "second meter" so you will
be able at least to get another reading to compare with the first..... if it happens again......see your Doctor.
Kindest regards to you.......and all members.

Dizzylish78

I'm type 2 - I had toast which is normal but my levels never go that high. I've been suffering with lack of sleep the last few days so not sure if that has impacted my levels. I always wash my hands before testing. Just done another test and it's now at 13.3.

Dizzylish78

I'm type 2 - I had toast which is normal but my levels never go that high. I've been suffering with lack of sleep the last few days so not sure if that has impacted my levels. I always wash my hands before testing. Just done another test and it's now at 13.3.

I've managed to find some high protein bread so will be trying that out tomorrow - hopefully will help.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Dizzylish78 Did you test immediately before breakfast and then 2 hours later? You say it is never that high, just how high does it go normally.
For me personally bread in any form is off limits, as I spike too. Breakfast for me now is normally fresh air, kippers or egg and bacon.

Dizzylish78

Yes I tested just before eating and 2 hours later. It might normally go up to 11 or 12 but never as high as 17.2. I struggle with what to eat for breakfast but I've managed to find some high protein bread so will try that tomorrow. I like the sound of having eggs, bacon or kippers for breakfast but it's having the time. I probably need to get more organised in the mornings. Thanks

Last edited:

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Can I suggest perhaps natural full fat Greek Yogurt for breakfast - really quick and easy - I actually take mine to work and eat it when I get there as I cannot manage to eat before I leave home..........

Dizzylish78

Can I suggest perhaps natural full fat Greek Yogurt for breakfast - really quick and easy - I actually take mine to work and eat it when I get there as I cannot manage to eat before I leave home..........
Thanks - I haven't got on well with yogurt in the past but might give it another go!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge ready to go. You can par cook bacon or sausage and just microwave to finish it off. I like avocado. Fast and easy. I eat it with celery. Best bf for my bs in the morning.
Crustless quiche, egg and bacon muffins , veggie egg muffins etc can all be made ahead and frozen. Then take one out before bed to defrost in the fridge. I wouldn't like my numbers as high as yours are going. I'm sure you can find a suitable bf that will be kinder to your meter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I tested just before eating and 2 hours later. It might normally go up to 11 or 12 but never as high as 17.2. I struggle with what to eat for breakfast but I've managed to find some high protein bread so will try that tomorrow. I like the sound of having eggs, bacon or kippers for breakfast but it's having the time. I probably need to get more organised in the mornings. Thanks
Definitely go for the eggs etc if you have to eat but I gave up breakfast when I was diagnosed and now just have a mug of tea..

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Boiling eggs the night before and eating in the morning is an option, or cooking an omelette only takes a couple of minutes- probably no longer than waiting for toast to brown.

dipsydo

Scrambled eggs cooked in butter takes a couple minute certainly quicker than my toaster . Washing up can be a faff however if you put in butter and let it melt it will make saucepan easier to clean, Can also buy pre cooked bacon and crumble a bit in - do not need a lot .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there - These are an example of the sort of thing you can cook ahead for a quick grab and go breakfast. I just Googled "low carb breakfast cups":

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/28-grabandgo-egg-muffin-breakfast-recipes-low-carbgluten-free/

Dizzylish78

Scrambled eggs cooked in butter takes a couple minute certainly quicker than my toaster . Washing up can be a faff however if you put in butter and let it melt it will make saucepan easier to clean, Can also buy pre cooked bacon and crumble a bit in - do not need a lot .

Thank you!

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Was this the only time it spiked up that high? What meter are you using? Regular batteries or rechargeable?

I am also a Type 2, and I ask because of past experience with different meters. Low battery or charge can cause that spike. On a previous rechargeable meter (One Touch Vario) I once had a reading of 25.4 ... that sure spiked my adrenaline LOL. Used another meter right away and it gave me a reading of 12.1. Charged the errant reading meter and the next test was where it usually is.

A bad strip can cause this too. I switched about a month ago to using the Dario (uses your Smartphone for testing) and last week 2 hrs after dinner had reading of 24.2. Used a new test strip and retested right away and it was 11.7 ... obviously a bad strip. I was showing a friend (also Type 2 diabetic) who was over for dinner about how great the Dario was and he asked me how I was feeling after the reading was so high. Retested and he was relieved. So much for the demo :) BTW, the Dario is awesome if you use an iPhone/Smartphone.

Last edited: