Max amount of pills per day?

steve_hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all newbie here been loitering for a while reading posts. Trouble with this condition there is a lot of questions you need answers for.
Is there a maximum number of Metformin , Gliclazide tablets you can take in one day prescribed by the doctor, before you have to go on insulin injections. At moment I'm on Metformin 850 mg 3 x a day and Gliclazide 80 mg 2 x a day oh and 1 statin. blood sugar 4 to 7 daily.
Is there anyone with higher doses?

Last edited:
M

ME_Valentijn

In the Netherlands, the guidelines put the max for Metformin at 3000mg, and the maximum for Gliclazide is 240mg. But I think the manufacturers put the max for Gliclazide at 320mg.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The max dose stated by the suppliers is something like 2000mg for Metformin and 320mg for Gliclazide. When these fail to work then there is Sitagliptin and after that insulin? I've been down that route. However it's not as simple as that. Gliclazide is really only of use if you are a late onset T1 with a failing pancreas. Some GPs prescribe this without seeming to fully understand its mechanism or prescribing it 'just in case'. A T2 with excess weight on 320mg of Gliclazide would be having hypos and insulin would be of no help. In this case the right low-carb diet or Vicotoza etc might be the right solution to help reduce insulin resistance. The statin is not a diabetes drug so should be considered separately. So, if you are slim then being late onset T1 is always a possibility and a dose adjustment of the Gliclazide after review with the GP might be relevant together with tests for T1. If you have excess weight lowering the carbs further might be the best way forward. As you read around the forum be prepared to ask the GP, tactfully, why you are on each drug you take and what he/she believes they will be achieving.

steve_hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Daibell yes I know that the statins are not connected to diabetes treatment, I have never been over weight, I'm 6-3 and since early 20's weight has been stedy at around 14 stone I'm just under 13.5 at mo and 53 years old. And have had no problems with any other organ function as annual blood test. diagnosed with diabetes when 45 years old.

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I try not to go higher than 1500 on metformin .What is Gliclazide does it also work as an appetite suppressant. Is it like glp1
Some posts say metformin doesn't do much so I don't know now

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1000 Metformin reduces blood sugar by about 1 to 2. 2000 Metformin reduces by another 0.25, so is not that more effective than taking a lower dose of 1000. Changing your diet is more effective in reducing blood sugar than pills for T2 diabetics.

GeorgiyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have 2000mg of metformin a day at the moment. Was diagnosed November last year and my sugar levels remained high even with metformin, so this is my latest amount of medication. I don't like it at all. my glucose levels still seem rather high, but sometimes drop fairly low - strangely enough after eating. This evening I was 4.9 despite having had (home made) fish and chips. Usually after waking up it is 7.6-8.0.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Hi all newbie here been loitering for a while reading posts. Trouble with this condition there is a lot of questions you need answers for.
Is there a maximum number of Metformin , Gliclazide tablets you can take in one day prescribed by the doctor, before you have to go on insulin injections. At moment I'm on Metformin 850 mg 3 x a day and Gliclazide 80 mg 2 x a day oh and 1 statin. blood sugar 4 to 7 daily.
Hi Steve
I was on 2,000 metformin. 320 gliclazide and an alogliptin each day. I was told this was the max, next step insulin. Now go lchf and halved gliclazide and metformin and no alogliptin. Blood sugars are best ever, so diet is a much healthier option than meds. Never been overweight either.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Gliclazide is in the goup of Sulphonylureas medicines it a blood sugar reducer same job as metformin
Oh thanks personally I don't like the Sulph.......... meds but with the info I've seen here on fasting and drastic calorie restriction I feel confident I have a chance now to keep off further meds.
This info was not available 10 years ago sadly.