Max time for disconnection

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone :)
Hope your all good.

What is the maximum time you can be disconnected from the pump for?

I've found a really food jujitsu class - good exercise too which the consultant wants me doing more of. But its 2 hours. And ive spoke to the club and we're all in agreement theres a good chance the pump may get broken or knocked or ripped out...

In theory. I could disconnect few mins before the session. Do the class. Then connect the new one (been told u change the site every 2-3 days) straight after the class finishes.

What do you guys think?

I'm going to speak to my DSN as soon as and hole i can disconnect for the 2 hr class... fingers crossed.
Just wonderwd what you all have been told or suggest... xx

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told that I could possibly do without my pump ( when BGs OK) while dancing, and this could have been anything from 1 to 3 hours. However, it was made clear that I would have to test every half hour and replace pump (even if just to give a correction) if I started going hyper.

Initially I was told the pump could be removed for a maximum of one hour.

monski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ensuring that your bg is ok before the class, you could disconnect for an hour then connect back up to the pump and do the (basal rate what would have been delivered over that hour) as a bolus.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I was told by both the Rep for the pump and my Diabetes Nurse 1 hour maximum. I'm never disconnected longer than it takes for me to shower.

I don't know your sport but is it possible to ear your pump where it wont get struck?

Regards

Martin

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done a few things where I needed to disconnect for an hour or more, so every hour or so check bloods and if needed top up the missing basal for that hour in one go (or adjust as needed).

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given the nature of Jujutsu, I would agree that you shouldn't leave a pump connected. If you're on a 'hosed' pump and use Teflon sets then you could try leaving a set in - I don't see it causing much of an issue.

Two hours off the pump is probably pushing it a bit further than I would be totally happy with and you would need to bolus the missing basal on reconnection. You could try talking to your sensei and see about having a quick bolus mid-session if there's a water break; just remember to bow before you leave the mat.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I leave my pump off for two,hours when I go ice skating. I haven't had a problem but that's just me.

I imagine the exercise offsets any bad effects.