Maybe the worst hypo alert dog ever?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I am seriously trying to rationalise this phenominom..

Here, I'll let the dog explain it to you. :D

Dougal the wonder dog.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HelenHak

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have the opposite problem regarding my rescue labs attitude to hypos.
She has decided it's her mission in life to eat all of my hypo treatments stashed around the house, so far she has eaten
Nougat 90gm bar minus a small section for a treated hypo.
Kendal mint cake minus 1 square
Gluten free ginger biscuits taken from a sealed container.
1 tube of liquid glucose removed from bum bag by undoing the zip with her teeth
1 bag of unopened sour sweet and they were sour as well.

I hasten to add this has been over a period of 4 months and not all in one go. :) I have now resorted to shutting her in the hallway with treat toys and a bone when I leave the house now.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well??

I've come to the conclusion that he might well smell a hypo. But associates it with the promise of food on the go....

I'm currently coming up off a 2.2er. Whilst treating myself, I'm also passing out the dog treats too...

What a little sh17.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My cat only jumps on to settee above my head when my levels are too high.
Only had her for 4 months...

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your dog looks gorgeous! What a star! My equally gorgeous but rather old now border collie has no idea about my needs! However my cat....frequently wakes me in the night, always thought he had his own agenda but once roused my sugar levels are usually low! I've had him from kitten and he is always very persistent when he wakes me at night, very vocal, until I wake and I usually get up in a haze, thinking he needs letting out,(don't have a cat flap) when I come too, I feel a bit strange, do a test, and low and behold...bit on the low side! Had him ten years and this has happened quite frequently over the years, (I do have a lot of night hypos) So hypo cats.....bit hard to train me thinks;)

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well??

I've come to the conclusion that he might well smell a hypo. But associates it with the promise of food on the go....

I'm currently coming up off a 2.2er. Whilst treating myself, I'm also passing out the dog treats too...

What a little sh17.
Don't get muddled! Gravy bones or any other dog treats take sooooo much longer for me to recover! meanwhile your dog is doing somersaults on jelly babes!!:arghh:

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a funny dog ! : D Yea it must be annoying him causing u even more problems when ur having ur own to deal with but just cant be mad at him, right ? I could believe that he can sense ur hypos for sure ! (;