Mayo issues

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't quite enjoy mayo lately. I buy the 'real' mayo, as the light mayo is horrendously sweet. But even the real mayo, has very strong taste that it covers food's taste, instead of mildly accompanying it and enhancing it.

Is there any mayo that is mild, yet fully fatty?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a mayo junky. I use Just Mayo by Joy

You could make your own with a mild oil like walnut or almond oil. Maybe it would be milder. Or just use less. You can dilute it with lemon juice or water to make more of a sauce that would carry lss flavor.

I've often added horseradish, mustard, lemon and basil or dill to mine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mayo most days as I dislike olive oil dressings. I always have Hellman's Real Mayo. It tastes lovely and I don't think it is too strong.

Reactions: Robbity

Hotpepper20000

I sometimes use full fat Greek yogurt with a splash of hot sauce or salt and pepper, and lemon instead of mayo. I never use to enjoy mayo and still can only tolerate it in small amounts.

Reactions: ringi

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't quite enjoy mayo lately. I buy the 'real' mayo, as the light mayo is horrendously sweet. But even the real mayo, has very strong taste that it covers food's taste, instead of mildly accompanying it and enhancing it.

Stay clear of some of the cheap supermarket brands as some are truly awful, we buy Hellman's which is the best IMHO.

Reactions: Chook

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haha. Thanks. Aren't I talented?

Did you carve that? I thought you'd just picked it up off the internet. If you carved it, you are seriously talented.

How about slicing the top third off, so you then have enough material to carve a dragons foot clutching the stone? Or, even better, a dragons mouth eating it. I used to have a carved bench doing all those things, shame I sold it. You could make a fortune selling those to T1 Goths!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you carve that? I thought you'd just picked it up off the internet. If you carved it, you are seriously talented.

How about slicing the top third off, so you then have enough material to carve a dragons foot clutching the stone? Or, even better, a dragons mouth eating it. I used to have a carved bench doing all those things, shame I sold it. You could make a fortune selling those to T1 Goths!
Haha no way I did that. Besides once I pop one open the spoon is all I'm looking for. Not a carving tool!

You sound like my hubby with the dragons!! He'd love it if I could carve one with a dragon and no, he would not eat it. He'd find a way to preserve it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is there any mayo that is mild, yet fully fatty?

Carbolysis, you could try adding appropriate seasonings to your mayo, like a few drops of chilli sauce, apple cider vinegar, if you enjoy tart tastes (the SCV also loosens the texture of the mayo, which can be helpful as a salad dressing). I've also added mustard, garlic, lemon juice or whatever I fancy really. If I will be loosening the mayo with a liquid, I use a small lidded jar to give it a jolly good shake, or if I'm just adding a dry flavour or equally thick paste, I just use a small dish and really stir it around until well combines.

I use mayo; usually Hellmans or Lidl for me (Lidl mayo won a recent blind tasting where the tasters were Hellman's fans - It was on tv), as a base for various flavours. I don't "transform" too much at any given time, so that I don't become bored of it, and if I don't like the outcome, I just don't use that combo again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always bought the proper full fat Real Hellmans - I agree with @Bluetit1802 regarding its flavour, but as alternatives I'll also use plain nut oils, or yoghurt or sour cream with various herbs, spices and other flavourings and sometimes add these to my basic Hellmans too...

Robbity

D

Deleted member 308541

My partner makes her own, she got a recipe from the QCWA recipe book which she modified to her tastes.

I do not like mayo from childhood experiences, neither did our dog at the time.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't there any other product with milder taste? I would go for Creme Fraiche, but it's only 30% fat

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Try heinz mayo its the best!!

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally found an excellent mayo. It's the 'seriously good mayonnaise heinz'! Excellent subtle taste!

PS: They should pay me for that post, but nobody does :p