Meals Questionnaire

Riker13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

If you have a few moments I would like you to put down what you have for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and maybe snacks to give me some ideas.

All the very best.

Mark

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,
If you have a few moments I would like you to put down what you have for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and maybe snacks to give me some ideas.
All the very best.
Mark

I like this question because it's just a reminder that I don't eat very much and yet my weight hasn't fluctuated in the last 15 years. I'm not over weight and I'm not under-weight It's right where I would like it to be - so looking at yesterday this is what I had:
Breakfast - coffee with milk
Mid morning snack - a cup of whole almonds
Lunch - salad
Supper - 1 pork chop with broccoli
Evening - glass of red wine

I'm not on any special diet - this was formulated over the past few years thru BG affects of food groups, how I feel after eating and keeping good energy levels.

On the weekends I only have one evening meal and aside from fluids I fast for most of the day. In this day of food excess some people actually think I'm trying to starve myself but I'm a good weight:

Weight: 182 Pounds/ 82.5 Kilograms
Height: 5 ft 11 in = 180.34 cm
Waist Size: 32 inches - 81.28 cms

I made a dietary change when my kids were young - I was about 40 pounds over-weight and my eating habits were very carb oriented. It was tough changing my eating habits especially for the first couple of weeks but now it's just normal and I can;t see myself ever returning to my old dietary habits.

If you feel you need to make adjustments to your food intake keep in mind for some (including myself) it's a difficult thing to do at first especially if you're habitual but eventually it becomes rather easy.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast: porridge made with water and blueberries, lunch: chilli salmon fillet and salad and Greek yogurt with flaked almonds, dinner: chicken and veggies, snack: mini babybel cheese and peanuts :)

Reactions: Riker13

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bfast nothing to eat 2 mugs of tea
Coffee with double cream at 12 ish
Lunch (if eaten- maybe 50% of the time) eggs and bacon/sausages
Dinner Meat of some kind with one green vegetable
Berries and double cream or cheese for dessert sometimes both!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday.

Bf 1/3 avocado at 8 am. Nespresso
Lunch is split between noon and 3:00. 2 oz lamb chop, 1/3 avocado, 2 asparagus spears and a brussel sprout

5:00 small piece melted cheese with a tiny bit of butter. Vodka.

6:45 1/3 avocado , 2 oz smoked salmon, 2 asparagus spears and a brussel sprouts

About 1/2 oz macadamia nuts in between as snack or dessert.

I always eat one large avocado per day, 4-5 oz protein and a bowl ( about a cup) of steamed veg. Most recently asparagus and brussel sprouts. My diet is 80% fat per my meter however I don't gob it. Normal fat I would call it. Mayo on protein etc. Avocado is my main fat.
I'm a good weight and have been the same for 25 years. However if I eat over 20 carbs a day ( usually less) that's will all change fast.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Breakfast. Scrambled eggs with spring onion, squares of dry cured bacon and a few dots of Boursin.
Lunch. Green leaf salad includes spinach and one slice of salami.
Dinner. Chicken goujons with broccoli and cauliflower.
Snacks. Nuts or a square or two of ultra dark chocolate or 2 apricots.

Alternative breakfast is frozen strawberries and blueberries in greek yoghurt or double cream.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! is that all you people eat? How many calories do you eat in a day? I am not overweight, aged 69 and reasonably active and I must eat at least twice as much as the above examples with an 80g carb limit. I see @Kristin251 has 1 brussels sprout, I would have 20, @Guzzler has 1 slice of salami, I would have 5 with a big wedge of cheese. Also these meals lack anything in place of the carbs. I have a slice of Burgen with my bacon and egg bf, a Lidl high protein roll with my lunch and swede, lentils, butternut squash or similar with dinner.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! is that all you people eat? How many calories do you eat in a day? I am not overweight, aged 69 and reasonably active and I must eat at least twice as much as the above examples with an 80g carb limit. I see @Kristin251 has 1 brussels sprout, I would have 20, @Guzzler has 1 slice of salami, I would have 5 with a big wedge of cheese. Also these meals lack anything in place of the carbs. I have a slice of Burgen with my bacon and egg bf, a Lidl high protein roll with my lunch and swede, lentils, butternut squash or similar with dinner.

20 brussel sprouts? I have 4, once a year at Christmas!

Hotpepper20000

I love all vegetables, but try as I might Brussels and swiss chard are not for me.:***:
I've tried and tried. But there's so much else besides that I can enjoy.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have Brussels sprouts every day☺even though the frozen baby ones are excellent. My point was that I have a full plate of food not nouvelle cuisine.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat less than 20 carbs per day. Not sure how to count the carbs in my avocado though. There's 12.5 carbs and 10 fiber. Technically that should be 2.5 carbs but to me a carb is a carb except for avocado. Fiber in other foods makes no real difference in other foods. The avocado keeps my bs low and slow but not sure if it's the fat or the fiber. Probably both. Other fats act like water.
I can't eat 20 brussel sprouts or my stomach would blow up and rip my skin haha. I love them but too gassy. I eat all day long. 4 mini meals and then some snacks. Nuts, cheese,( new addition) and veggies.
I have horrid digestion and fiber is not my friend. Veggies bloat me if I don't keep portions small which is why I eat them throughout the day rather than at one meal.
20 brussel sprouts? I have 4, once a year at Christmas!
Laughing !!
My lamb chop and asparagus and brussel sprouts are usually my holiday meals and the only difference between today and holidays is I roast them rather than steam haha

I'm also 120 pounds and not built like a brick house. I don't need loads of calories and never have. Not saying I've never eaten loads though. Can't think of a single moment I couldn't eat. Even when I'm sick. The weird thing is the more I eat the hungrier I get and I'm never satisfied. Smaller meals and snacks are better for me.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Mr_Pot That was just what I had yesterday. Other days I will eat more but as I am newly diagnosed and still to an extent craving the carbs and aiming to lower my dx number of 98 about five weeks ago (last hba1c 73) then I am trying to 'train' my body to expect fewer carbs and much less sugar. When I reach a more acceptable bg level I will be able to see what foods spike my sugar levels, what foods fill me but don't impact my bg and finally what treats in what proportions I can have.
The day before yesterday I had two pieces of Burgen bread but I struggled to finish the second piece which makes me think I am going in the right direction. We are all different and our needs vary, I'm still learning about how to get my numbers down but remain sated.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi all,

All the very best.

Mark

Hi, I am veggie, no meat, meat substitute, fish, seafood, shellfish so...

Bf = 2 dessert spoons of med fat yogurt, 20gms of granola (Lizzis) and 5 blackberries. Mug of coffee with single cream.
Lunch = Cheese, lettuce and beetroot sandwich on whole grain seeded bread, 2 dessert spoons of med fat yoghurt and 5 small strawberries.
Late afternoon = Mug of coffee with single cream.
Dinner = Halloumi cheese stir fry with mushrooms
Water throughout the day.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I love all vegetables, but try as I might Brussels and swiss chard are not for me.:***:
I've tried and tried. But there's so much else besides that I can enjoy.

I love Brussels and Swiss chard (grow this in my garden) fab in stir fry.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed just over a week ago and at first i was starving myself and losing weight which I couldn't afford.

This is what I have ate today, probs too many carbs, fat etc.

Breakfast, manky low sugar porrige from Tesco made with milk. I ate half of it and threw the rest away along with the bag.

Snack handful of walnuts and a Seeded Ryvita with peanut butter on.

Dinner/lunch scramblef eggs made with bit milk and 3 slices of buttered Nimble toast.

Snack walnuts and a bit cheese.

Tea Beef burger in a Lidl ptotein roll with cheese onion and lettuce with a portion of steamed veg.

Snack probably the walnuts again.

The good thing is that my weight has stabilised and hopefully I can put about 7-8lbs on to get me back on track.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Many people are quite low calorie when you actually look at it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before diagnosis I used to eat a lot. My hubby is the cook and also dishes up. He has a large appetite and tried to feed me as much as he ate. The more weight I lost after diagnosis, the less I wanted. I made him make me smaller portions, and if there was too much I left it. I listened to people on this forum and ate till I was full, then stopped. He soon got the message. My stomach has shrunk and my eyes are no longer bigger than my belly as far as portion sizes are concerned. My weight of under 9 stones has been maintained since 2014. I don't lose. I don't gain. I am never hungry. My blood markers, including vits and minerals, are good. I am healthy. Portion size is very important.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Nothing today, some days raw oats with stevia and fullcream milk. Sunday morning , bacon, eggs, sausages, low carb bread. Lunch, salad w/ chicken, bacon, cheese or eggs. Sometimes a home baked slice of low carb bread. 4pm, starving at this point, finished work and eating what I can find, just made some low carb crisp bread out of seeds and ground seed, yummy with cheese, also snack on nuts. Dinner: something vegie based with creamy sauce, often mushrooms, eggplant, courgette, onion, broccoli, cauliflower and any meat I can find in the freezer ( I'm not very organized ;) ) or stirfry!! Dessert: frozen Berries and cream made into ice cream, plain yoghurt with vanilla essence and stevia, homemade cheese cake. Evening snacks, trying to cut down on nuts as they get my FBG up, my homemade crispbread seems fine, made some with salt on and can be eaten as chips, pretty good. I've got a BMI of 20, don't count carbs or calories and seem to eat quite a lot :D Probably would be better to only eat at the meals and never snack...