Mealtime injection

zebsmum

Hi, I'm new to Humulin M3 and so far, so good, but today am facing Sunday lunch mid afternoon. When should I inject ? before my meal or normal time.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @zebsmum ,

Difficult to give any specific guidance on medication dosage and timings as it generally against forum rules. Are you on a fixed dosage or do you change your dose?

But if you inject early and don't eat then you will hypo.

I'd just make you aware that the long acting part of your insulin will last maybe upto 12 hours depending on your activity levels so if you inject again in the evening (if that's your regime) you could have too much long acting insulin inside you and will run the increased risk of a hypo during the night.

As for Sunday lunch , if you can stick to meat and veg and stay off the spuds (or at least reduce) then you will not be eating too many carbohydrates and it (probably) will not spike your blood glucose too much. Obviously, be careful of dessert if it's offered.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Humulin M3 is a mixed insulin and I believe this insulin would usually be used twice a day and not directly related meals but check with the nurse or leaflet if not sure. If you are a T1 then the Basal/Bolus regime is the optimum but involves 4 to 5 injections (3 at mealtimes).