Medical alert tattoo

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was looking into another way of showing I have diabetes since I'm not much of a jewellery wearer besides a watch and decided a tattoo could be a good idea, I have picked a small one out and have decided I want to put it on the inside of my wrist. I've researched a lot about having a tattoo but there's one thing that not much is said about and that is being able to get a job with a wrist tattoo. Ideally I want to work with children between the ages of 2 and 5. Will having a wrist tattoo hurt my chances or will it not matter because it is a medical alert tattoo? If anyone with experience with a wrist tattoo and getting a job could tell me what it is like I would appreciate it!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have Diabetic tattooed on my wrist under my watch strap. No it didn't hurt was done about 30 years ago.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi @Nicola M (edited to tag alert)

Valid and good question you have raised here in your thread .

Here is a large thread and few links on various posts to help you .
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/medical-alert-tattoos.36377/

You could get like myself a small wrist tattoo that can be hidden with
a watch strap .
Some professions you may have to be jewellery/tattoo free though .
Worth considering employers advice pre-tattoo if this be the case ?
If you are uncertain or unsure .

Hope you enjoy reading through the posts and the tattoo's in the links though .
All can help support you with further info .
Even if you do decide against having a tattoo .

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A while back I saw an episode of Doc Martin where an old woman and her friend ordered a DIY tattoo gun over the internet and put "Do Not Rescucitate" message on their chests. After watching a new reality TV show on Oz TV called "Outback ER" where they were giving aggressive CPR and drugs to an elderly man who had been found unconscious and not breathing, with no clue how long he'd been in that condition and without consultation with the family, I'm now seriously considering getting one. The poor guy died anyway, which was a relief considering they discovered extensive brain damage after they finally revived him.

I'd get it professionally done and wouldn't try the DIY home version though!

Reactions: 2 people

moz1

Tbh I wouldn't get a tattoo just think when we get a cure you would either have to get it laser removed or just live with it! lol x

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.
I was thinking of it also.
I thought of just having a blue circle small on my wrist, as paramedics etc would know what it is? But no one else would notice.
Although I think blue is hard to get removed when they find a cure :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mine is illuminous pale blue ink .
Star burst only is in this colour - the rest is in black ink .

Been told red ink is the hardest to remove via laser . :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tbh I wouldn't get a tattoo just think when we get a cure you would either have to get it laser removed or just live with it! lol x

Am happy to live permanently with mine .
I spent ages deciding if should get a tattoo ?

Then it finally happened !

A serious hypo in the supermarket - decided it all for me . :)

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg
Like that but smaller. U could always draw it on for a week and see how it feels

Janiept

Expert
A while back I saw an episode of Doc Martin where an old woman and her friend ordered a DIY tattoo gun over the internet and put "Do Not Rescucitate" message on their chests. After watching a new reality TV show on Oz TV called "Outback ER" where they were giving aggressive CPR and drugs to an elderly man who had been found unconscious and not breathing, with no clue how long he'd been in that condition and without consultation with the family, I'm now seriously considering getting one. The poor guy died anyway, which was a relief considering they discovered extensive brain damage after they finally revived him.

I'd get it professionally done and wouldn't try the DIY home version though!
I had this discussion with my GP a while back and she told me that even if you have written DNR instructions and a living will, if something was to happen to you and an ambulance crew attended they are legally required to resuscitate, so I gave up the idea of a tattoo :grumpy:

Reactions: 2 people