Medical Appointments

Songbird966

Hi, I have a 1 hour commute to work so when I have to attend a medical appointment, my employer insists I take half a day's leave. Other members of staff are allowed to make the time up but my line manager insists that, as a receptionist, this is not possible. I have spoken with our HR Manager and she said there is nothing she can do. I'm just wondering where I stand legally, especially as I need to attend for a blood test before an appointment with a Diabetic doctor at my local hospital and I have no annual leave left.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I have not come across this - my blood tests and appointments are just part of time I am permitted off - are you the only receptionist - if not could you not cover each others shift? Just trying to think of how you could manage this, I certainly could not afford to give up half a days leave each time.
Hope others can give you more information.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
In my last job, when I had appointments, I had to make them out of work time but I did to early and late shifts. If it was in work time, then I had to take annual leave or if I had no holiday left then had to take unpaid leave. I think it depends on your employer

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have worked for employers that allowed reasonable time off for all hospital appts and 1 that basically said --"if you are not in work you do not get paid -- take holiday "
there was no give and take there.

Unfortunately -- @Sparrow456 has defined it properly to the best of my knowledge

S

Shar67

What everyone has said is true, but there is another part to your post, other people get to make up hours lost. It isn't your fault if you are the only receptionist, the company cannot allow one rule for ever other staff and not you.
Please contact ACAS they will be able to advise on what you can do

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is you have to be allowed reasonable time off for appointments, but are not necessarily to be paid.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have a 1 hour commute to work so when I have to attend a medical appointment, my employer insists I take half a day's leave. Other members of staff are allowed to make the time up but my line manager insists that, as a receptionist, this is not possible. I have spoken with our HR Manager and she said there is nothing she can do. I'm just wondering where I stand legally, especially as I need to attend for a blood test before an appointment with a Diabetic doctor at my local hospital and I have no annual leave left.

You are disabled under the equality act and so should get reasonable adjustments. The default position is that allowing paid time off for medical appointments for someone with a disability is a reasonable adjustment. However, there may be some specific circumstances where that adjustment just isn't reasonable and I don't know if your position might fall into one of those sorts of circumstances. If not paid, you should be able to take as unpaid leave instead so that you can actually make the appointment.

I think I'd be asking HR if they had considered reasonable adjustments under the equality act and if the adjustments arent reasonable, why not.

http://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/where-...ppointment-should-the-time-off-be-paid/57196/

Reactions: 2 people