Medical ID Bracelets

janwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have worn a medic alert necklace(with the details inside) for a few years for another medical condition so just added the diabetes when I was diagnosed last year

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a U-TAG one which is a usb. You can add all your personal and medical details. I only tend to use it when I am doing sport or activities on my own as have other medical issues as well as diabetes. I usually have it in my handbag though as relying on hubbie to remember what meds I'm on is not a good thing! I had a fault with my first one after a couple of years and he sent out a new one with no quibble so good service.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Does anyone have any recommendations as to what the bracelet should actually "say" or "indicate" I'm LADA and insulin dependant. I do a lot of running and within a few weeks my training is going to be some very long runs typically alone. Does it need to state my type? As any of you with LADA will know this usually just confuses things even with members of the medical profession! I was just thinking of the simple... Diabetic - Insulin Dependant short and 'sweet' no pun intended!!! Has anyone had any experience in this or have any good ideas? Thanks izzy

S

Shar67

I just have insulin dependant then ICE
Son's mobile no.
OH mobile no.
Home phone no.

jupiter21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor told me that it would be a good idea to get a medical ID bracelet since I am newly diagnosed. Does anyone have any opinions on this or think that it is a good idea? I want to know if it is worth it!
Yes it is worth it I have a red medical alert bracelet as I also have asthma and have had a heart attack so it lists my medication which is very helpful just in case.

M

mrspuddleduck

I wear a silver medic alert bracelet & as azure says it has a number on back which in an emergency can be called to get medication details.

Me too, I took ages deciding whether I should have a medic alert and in the end I did it to give my family peace of mind as they worried. Now if something happened I'd get quick appropriate treatment and the emergency services would know who to contact. Was a bit self conscious at first but now I forget I'm wearing it (and its actually really pretty ;):))

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
If on Insulin and drive one has to inform the DVLA and also wear a medical id necklace or bracelet...I have bought a few bracelets and lost them.. all had my details inside ie name, address, insulin and medication I am on plus phone number..not one has been handed in...makes me wonder why they want to keep an ID bracelet...I wear a gold chain around my neck so do not like wearing too many chains as they get entangled so in the end I bought a leather strap bracelet seems to have lasted a lot longer than the others I had

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it just those who are T1 or a T2 on insulin that wear alert bracelets?

S

Shar67

http://www.theidbandco.com/
This is where I bought mine, they do a seatbelt sleeve that you can store information in, it is red and has rescue on front.
Anyone can wear a bracelet etc makes sense when you are on medication that you need to keep you healthy e.g warfarin

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Taking insulin and driving, yes, you have to inform the DVLA. You have to test before driving, and every 2 hours whilst driving, but I've never heard of a requirement to wear any sort of ID.

Discussions a few years back on another (non-Diabetes) forum suggested that NHS staff wouldn't under any circumstances poke any USB device into an NHS computer, even if it did have your details on it. This may now have changed, but beware before parting with money.

I have dog-tags with medical info, name and date of birth on them, plus a card in my wallet, and a tattoo on my arm.

stepher10

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
To everyone that has replied thus far, I thank you so very much! I was asking on another blog site and found similar answers :) one woman turned me to a website called medicalidfashions.com and I got a bracelet from them. They have some really good reviews and supposedly their products hold up well. So I'm trying it now! Thank you again everyone :)

stepher10

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Being in a family known for diabetes, it gets somewhat scary when you think about it happening to you. However, that is what happened and I have been scared ever since. Looking at thousands of different blogs for advice and talking to doctors, I always was concerned about my health. One thing that kept popping up in these discussions was safety and what would happen is something happened to me, when no one was around. I was TERRIFIED! Would I be okay? Would someone find me in time to help me? Would I survive? Well I did my homework about these ID bracelets everyone has been talking about. One of my girlfriends sent me to a site she got hers at and so I checked it out. They were cute and had some fun styles. They were not a big neon sign that I was going to have around my wrist. And they did save my life. Some great samaritan found me unconscious in my garden and called the EMTs and they knew that I was a diabetic based on my bracelet so they were able to treat me appropriately. Sadly I did not have my wallet outside with me with my medical card in it so they would have had no idea! I was so thankful! I was also so thankful that I listened to my friends and my doctors about getting a medical bracelet. If you just take this story with a grain of salt, I thank you! I wish to share my experience so that everyone can be educated! My friends gave me some great advice and I am so glad I listened to them. I really want to share the site that I got my bracelet just because I thank them even more for what they did! Saving my life was more than I could ask from this company so I want to share them with other people.
Medicalidfashions.com

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
I wear a neckless and have done for a number of year because of a drug allergy. I showed it to my doctor yesterday and he had no idea what it was even after opening it and showing him what was inside. Am now looking to get a medical tattoo as that will be more obvious. Oh and I work in the Middle East not the UK and take kids on DofE trips several times a year. Thats the other reason for looking to get a tattoo.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Emergency personnel are trained not to root about in personal belongings looking for personal info, infact bags andallets are the last place to look. Neckalces and bracelets are the first thing they're trained to look for. I started wearing a sos talisman a few years ago due to allergies, and added the diabetes in when i got the t2 diagnosis at the end of last year.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi nosher were did you get your necklace from .

Got it off Amazon.
They are like dogtags.
It is a medical necklace.
It was engraved with Hypoglycaemia on it, I got my local jeweller to engrave reactive on top of it. You can get them with T2 diabetes on, mate.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Got it off Amazon.
They are like dogtags.
It is a medical necklace.
It was engraved with Hypoglycaemia on it, I got my local jeweller to engrave reactive on top of it. You can get them with T2 diabetes on, mate.
Thank you for that will order one, ordered a bracelet off this web site when I first joined in Jan 2016 but like lots of others never received them.