Medical ID Bracelets

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Work dictates I can't wear a bracelet , but I do wear a dog tag necklace have information in my wallet and have a medical tattoo on my left forearm. I believe the more information you give the better.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told that when I was working but I still wore it and told them to get lost as I needed to have it on my person and it was illegal for health & safety if I took it off so they never asked or said anything about it again but I didn't care about it as I didn't have any problems with this or anything else after that just wish I could have the dog's back

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone subscribe to Medic Alert in addition to the ID? Do you feel it adds anything useful for the £20+ per year?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose it's a lot like car breakdown cover. If you go all year without a call out it can seem like a waste of money, but breakdown on the motorway in the middle of the night and it's the best thing you've ever paid for. Guess you need to be comfortable with what precautions you put in place.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I guess my question is - a) would the emergency services actually phone Medic Alert for your info and b) would they learn anything useful that they wouldn't get from reading your bracelet?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess my question is - a) would the emergency services actually phone Medic Alert for your info and b) would they learn anything useful that they wouldn't get from reading your bracelet?

Maybe it's different in the UK, but here in the US there's no way they'd ever check stuff like that. A medic isn't going to rummage throw your phone, wallet, handbag, etc looking for clues to your health....in the event of an emergency they're focused on keeping your condition stable and keeping you alive.

Consequently, if you want the chance to alert a medic you had better wear something that's glacier got obvious and easy to see.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wear a Vital Inside ID bracelet as I have more than one condition that can incapacitate me, as I am able to list details of conditions and medications on the insert.