Medical review to see if i can stay in my current employment.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tim I totally agree with you, but it did not stop me going up my ladder to the attic to get the Christmas decorations.
The are just protecting me as an employee with the first two and the 3rd is protecting my work collogues.
Yes, I understand the ones relating to driving. Those make sense.

It's just that the services seem to be the only "business" that limit the height at which you can work if you have T1. I've spent paid time up many ladders and on scaffolding painting barns, roofs, windows, etc. It feels like a rather arbitrary limitation!

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I understand the ones relating to driving. Those make sense.

It's just that the services seem to be the only "business" that limit the height at which you can work if you have T1. I've spent paid time up many ladders and on scaffolding painting barns, roofs, windows, etc. It feels like a rather arbitrary limitation!
Tim again I agree that the limitation is arbitrary, here is a direct quote from the Manual.

Employment Limitations.
a. Recruit: Recruits with a history of IFG, IGT or DM are permanently unfit service.
b. Serving Personnel with suspected IFG, IGT or DM:

(1) Investigation. Whilst investigations are ongoing, groundcrew are ‘Unfit service outside base areas’; additional limitations may be necessary depending on occupation. Those with IFG or IGT can expect to be awarded an unrestricted JMES. Those with DM will only be considered for an unrestricted JMES after a period of 6 months.

(2) Treatment with Diet, Exercise and Weight Loss. Groundcrew who respond to lifestyle changes may be awarded an unrestricted JMES.

(3) Treatment with Antidiabetic Drugs:
i. Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors (acarbose), biguanides (metformin) and thiazolidinediones (pioglitazone) do not increase the risk of hypoglycaemia and are compatible with an unrestricted JMES.
ii. Glucagon-like peptide-1 analogs (exenatide and liraglutide) and dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitors (saxagliptin, sitagliptin, and vildagliptin) do not appear to cause hypoglycaemia; however, in view of the limited data available for these new agents, groundcrew are permanently ‘Unfit service outside base areas’.
iii Insulin, sulphonylureas and meglitinides can all cause hypoglycaemia. Groundcrew are unfit service outside base areas, unfit for work at heights (>2m), unfit working with unguarded machinery, unfit to drive LGV/PCV/lift trucks, unfit for work in confined spaces and unfit handling live arms; additional limitations may be necessary depending on occupation.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given that T1s are now considered fit for flying commercial airliners, I'd think that giving Diabetes UK something to do in advocating changes to the military manual might not be a bad idea!

Reactions: Salvia

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tim the Medical officer that reviewed myself said that he was fighting some of the Limitations for T1s and that they are currently under review. So in the future my limitations may well reduce.

Marcus870

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glad to seee you are still in @delmcp. I am still MND temp, so interested to see your review and limitations. As I discussed before I have been successfully promoted WO2 -1 this week. Moreover, and my mate has his LE commission approved. Best take my AP Confined spaces from me then!