Medication will it help?

Foligno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All. I was diagnosed with diabetes two back in October. My mother has type two and is insulin dependent. I suspected that I too had developed diabetes; this was some time before being formally diagnosed, as I recognised some of its symptoms. I was checking my blood sugar levels which were above ideal range and were taking too long to reduce after eating. My HbAC1 was 56 when last checked. My G.P. has recommended that I start taking medication for diabetes and cholesterol control. My current symptoms are extreme physical tiredness, headaches and lack of mental energy. I was recently diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency, but I also have hypertension and hypo-thyroid. I currently take medication for all three ailments (stable). I have been referred to a gym and have been set a program, as means of functional therapy for diabetes and my general well-being. My BMI is about 29. Exercise & diet would be my preferred choice of treatment. I am hesitant about going on medication as I have been informed this will be for life by my G.P. My personal experience is that it starts of as oral medication, but eventually it leads onto insulin injections, Please forgive me if this appears in anyway judgemental or negative. My predicament is that I am struggling with my energy levels and mental focus. I feel I am virtually sleeping through weekends and feel ready to jump into bed the minute I return from work. I manage the routine of work but feel I am not functioning beyond the basics. Hence with the fatigue, I don`t feel able to exercise, more-like pass out and wanting to eat all the time. I am thinking of taking two weeks off work to put 100% into diet and exercise to see if this helps to kick start some improvement in the way I feel. Any advice? Best Wishes All.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is likely that the medication being spoken about will be Metformin which is the default first option. If it is there is no reason why you would be on it "for life"

It is a useful tool to give you help when you start to try to get T2D under control, and apart from some side effects, it is a very safe drug which helps with Insulin sensitivity and can help with weight loss.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Foligno - Hi.:) Tiredness can indicate that your blood sugar levels are high? Metformin is one of the first drugs prescribed for Type 2 Diabetes, and it lowers the amount of sugar created by your Liver, and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. It may help Type 2 Diabetic's lose weight as it lowers appetite. But it takes time to build up in your system to reach it's full effect.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say that diet is the best way to control T2, unless you are one of the minority T2s who need insulin quickly. There is a sound bite that 'controlling T2 is 80% diet and 20% exercise and drugs.

Many of us here on the forum work on reducing the carbs in our diets until we reduce or cease medication. Doesn't work for everyone (our bodies all respond uniquely), but I would say it is worth a try.

Of course, I am assuming that your symptoms are from eating carbs and getting blood glucose spikes afterwards. Forgive me if you have already tried carb reduction, and you are still getting the symptoms. If that is the case, then I would accept medication your doc is offering.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Foligno. Sorry to hear about your predicament and I completely understand. It’s like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Here’s the thing though. While you may want to use some medication in the short term, to immediately bring your T2D under control, the real answer to controlling diabetes lies in things that most doctors not only don’t know about, but do the complete opposite of!

I know this must sound absurd to you, but they too are victims of a wrong statement of the problem. The problem of diabetes is not “high blood sugar”. If it was the case, why do the medications that control blood sugar still allow for symptoms like tingling arms and feet and blurry vision develop?

The real problem of diabetes is “insulin resistance”, and therefore, the real answer is to make your body more sensitive to insulin. The four simple rules to do that, in the order of importance are 1) Intermittent fasting: fast at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. Slowly, build up your ability to fast 24 hours at least one day of the week. 2) Eat only 3 meals a day. I know the whole world tells us to eat “small meals, every 2 hours”, but nothing could be worse for you 3) Avoid processed foods, minimize carbs. If it comes out of a packet, don’t eat it, don’t let simple carbs be more than 1/4th of any meal 4) Eat slowly, chew every mouthful completely before you swallow.

Dr.Jason Fung, Nephrologist and expert in diabetes has been exposing the lies propagated about Type 2 diabetes. He believes, and has proven through case after case, that T2D is reversible! Yes, you can become non-diabetic!

There are also several natural and dietary supplements that can help you combat the diabetes, without the side effects that accompany many prescription medicines.

Question, learn, empower yourself and you will find the truth. All the best!

Last edited by a moderator: