Medtronic 640g and Enlite sensor life

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Brill, thank you @Flowerpot! Last set of questions I promise (for now ) -- do you use the overlay tape that comes with the Enlites...? Do you just use one, or do you just peel back the second one...?

I'm putting a new sensor in tomorrow and will try to attach it in a way I can easily remove it... But worried that will then make it move more easily, which I think can affect readings...?

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use one of the rectangular Enlite adhesive patches - the ones with the middles cut out- and put that over the sensor before attaching the transmitter then I stick the adhesive strip from the sensor around the transmitter. I then use 2 strips of Opsite Flexifix - a clear adhesive film- I buy off the internet and put one strip down over the sensor part and the 2nd strip down over the transmitter. That covers the whole thing and safely sticks it to my skin to stop any movement. After 6 days I can hopefully peel the one piece of Opsite and the adhesive strip off the transmitter and remove it without dislodging the sensor. What could be simpler!!!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lol!! Indeed!!! Brill info thank you... Will get some flexifix and try on the sensor after this one... :))

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @Flowerpot :) From what I've read across various forums and groups, I think you are getting good numbers for the enlites.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You disconnect the grey semi circular transmitter whilst trying not to pull on the sensor and recharge it. It took my charger about 25 minutes - the green light on the charger stops flashing once the transmitter is fully charged. I reconnected it to the existing sensor and you see 7 - .I think it's 7! - short flashes of a green light on the transmitter to show it has found the sensor. The pump then shows a sensor found message, with either Reconnect to old sensor or link to new sensor. Choose link to new sensor and the pump should immediately start showing the bar across the screen indicating the time until calibration. After that mine worked perfectly until it stopped this pm.

I put my sensor down towards my hip bone before I run out of fat and change from side to side .

It is a bit fiddly removing the transmitter to recharge but well worth it to get nearly 5 days extra spot on readings. I hope you can manage to get it to work.
Thanks for this flowerpot. Just placed my order for the 640G. Hoping with time to get 14 days out of sensors.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
... I promised I'd give feedback on this once I'd had a chance to try extending a sensor... Even though I know the OP has decided thought it was still worth letting others know how I got on... Detached transmitter as @Flowerpot excellently described above and reattached -- warm-up as normal; then restarted... Sensor had brilliant tracking right from get go and currently on day 9 now with perfect tracking... This was the first sensor is tried to extend and t'was easy -- so would say they defo can be extended for those self funding and worried about cost! :)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's very good to hear @-Artemis- , the most important thing I've found is putting the Flexifix so that I can get to the transmitter connection easily without disturbing the sensor. Glad it's working for you and I hope life on a pump is going well for you :)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Agreed! That's the tricky part -- don't think it would be do-able with the second overlay tape on that they give you... But with just a little tape and careful positioning over the transmitter it's then quite straightforward -- with your brilliant tips :)

Casper60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you have to take the transmitter off, give it a little charge and then reattach and then start new sensor
Is this the Dexcom you're talking about? How would I recharge the sensor, the gray bit, when there is no connection for it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is this the Dexcom you're talking about? How would I recharge the sensor, the gray bit, when there is no connection for it.
No, as the title says, it is Enlites on the Medtronic.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

@Casper60 with the Dexcom all you do is restart the sensor as if it's a new sensor. The transmitter is not rechargeable.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I've just got 19 days out of my Enlite sensor before it failed,so quite pleased with that.

Reactions: 9 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I am currently on day 7, restarted my old sensor successfully yesterday and seems pretty accurate so will let you know how I get on!! ;-)

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You can restart Dexcom sensors, then?
Yes you can, I manage 3 weeks with mine no effort at all. Most I've had is 47 days :)
All you do is restart the sensor as if it was a new one.

Reactions: 4 people

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so impressed!!! I can't even get the six days out of my Enlite. Just this morning it has failed and is asking for a new sensor I only inserted it yesterday, and that was after 4 days. My head is melted with them. Rang the medtronic helpline and she said try not pressing at all when inserting?? it might fix the problem. Any one else find they have this problem?? Oh I also had huge differences in sensor blood glucose reading and actual reading. Sensor this morning said 8.0 actual reading was 21.2 (dodgey cannula over night me thinks cos all back to normal now)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I'm so impressed!!! I can't even get the six days out of my Enlite. Just this morning it has failed and is asking for a new sensor I only inserted it yesterday, and that was after 4 days. My head is melted with them. Rang the medtronic helpline and she said try not pressing at all when inserting?? it might fix the problem. Any one else find they have this problem?? Oh I also had huge differences in sensor blood glucose reading and actual reading. Sensor this morning said 8.0 actual reading was 21.2 (dodgey cannula over night me thinks cos all back to normal now)
I have tried the enlites with my 640g pump. I was not impressed by them at all, it was turning off my pump saying I was low when I wasn't and giving readings which were nowhere near what I actually was. :-( I've got the Dexcom on at the moment (trial by by diabetes centre) and am now on my second week with it performing really well. Not had any problems with the Dexcom at all and the sensors apparently will last a long time unlike the enlites.