Medtrum pump and CGM

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes my daughter has it - i dont like it as much as her libre (only lasts 6 days not 14 , takes 3 hours to change it 1hour to charge and 2 to warm up etc) BUT and its a big but it talks to the pump and suspends her when she does one of her big drops in blood sugars and has almost stopped all the hypos ). So if you needit to talk constantly to the pump then go for it - if not then the libre is great for trends etc

MarianaElberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Many thanks for you answer, is it confortable? The pump is good and easy to manage? I live in Chile and I would like to go to UK to install it and to buy all the supplies

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for you answer, is it confortable? The pump is good and easy to manage? I live in Chile and I would like to go to UK to install it and to buy all the supplies

Do you mean a Medtronic pump? No pump manufacturer in the uk will sell you a pump unless you are under the care of a uk doctor to use it safely. You can't just buy a pump, you need to have it prescribed. So you'd need to see a doctor in the private sector in the uk and before they would prescribe you a pump they would want to be sure you could carb count and understand a Basel bolus regime. Even though you'd be paying for it I don't think they'd be that keen to just sign off on it to get you a pump and send you back to chile with a bit of medical equipment that you don't know how to use and no guarantee of any medical support at home being in a position to advise on it because that would be dangerous. I don't think there's a way to do want you want. Why can't you access a pump at home? Medtronic does have contact details for chile - https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/customer-support/international-contacts

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think @bobcurly 's daughter is actually on a Medtronic? I don't think medtrum is actually currently available in the uk, it's "in development".

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes sorry medtronic - when i restart the sensors they only last another couple of days

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @MarianaElberg , I know the people from Medtrum in the UK - I spoke to them a couple of times last year. Here are the details:

http://www.diabettech.com/cgm/medtr...-artificial-pancreas-marketplace-coming-soon/
http://www.diabettech.com/medtrum/c...-where-are-they-since-the-jdrf-discovery-day/

They have trialled the pump on a few private patients in the UK, and the feedback generally wasn't amazing, but neither was it terrible.

The issue comes to evidence - when they have been asked by multiple parties to show their trial data, they have assured us it is around, but it has never been presented. As a result, they are getting no traction. Their CGM hasn't been seen in the wild anywhere, and the MHRA issued a reprimand to medtech companies about approaching people via private messaging on Social Media as a result of their activities on Facebook.

So while the idea seems good and the guys selling it are perfectly reasonable, there's next to no evidence being provided of their claims, which is obviously an issue.

Sarka

Hello Mariana, I am thinking about moving to Chile and looking for more information about how the life is there for a diabetics. How teh healthcare works etc