Meformin, when *can* I take it?

LenBappin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been able to find a good answer to this question.

I'm told to take Meformin with meals. I don't understand whether that is because it can make you a bit loose and it's to avoid that or because it is most effective when taken with food.

I've got the slow release ones and I seem to have adapted to it not upsetting my stomach, but I keep forgetting to take them so rarely take my full dose in a day.

If I just set reminders then I'll take them fine, but a good chance not with food. Does that reduce their effectiveness at all?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's to minimise the tummy effects - I'm just on standard I take mine with my breakfast and evening meal - some take it halfway through eating but I just take mine before- if you take it at the same time everyday it will soon become part of your routine and less likely to forget :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is that one can take the metformine whenever one wants to when it doesnt provoke ones stomach , if I forget my first thing in the morning metformin I just take it later in the day.

By the way I take the whole dose of 2x 850mg in the morning before I eat anything , initially because I had to go to the toilet many times each night if I took metformin later in the day like afternoon or evening , so I have just continued to do so , an occasional metformin dose later in the day do not make me pee all night anylonger so maybe my kidneys have gotten used to the chemiccals now

Reactions: letstalk1

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I always take after the 1st bite of food never any symptoms , and leave the bottle on the counter in plain sight

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
I take my standard 500mg Metformin twice a day after having a real bad time in the begining I spoke to the pharmasist who suggested taking it slightly after food. I now take it between 5 and 20 minutes after eating and have had no problems since changing to this method.

Before I changed it wasn't safe to wander to far from the house, if you know what I mean!

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that taking it 3x 500 mg approximately 8 hr apart is the most effective for me

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I take mine straight after eating my first meal of the day then after my evening meal. As I vary from having one meal per day to three meals per day this means I sometimes miss a dose but as I had no adverse effects with the standard metformin it has worked ok for me. I havn't tried it on an empty stomach, though.

CEDI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take it once a day in the morning at first meal. I have never noticed any stomach issues.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I take 2x500mg slow release twice a day as im putting my dirty food plate in sink or dishwasher. Habit which if interferred with I carch up later or make sure strict next day.
If I get upset tum (have young kids with plenty of lergies) I just reduce then build back up to 4 daily again.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I take 2x500mg of slow release at breakfast time even if I'm not eating breakfast. I set alarms on my phone to remind me to take meds.

If I take Metformin in the evening it gives me an upset tummy and it also gave me an upset tummy when I experimented with Zero Carb for a couple of weeks recently.

pusspower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take my 4 tablets in between my breakfast food and now have no stomach problems . If I take them without food, I get stomach aches.

Reactions: catinahat

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take them after I've eaten breakfast, which is usually around 10am on week day, then in the evening after my dinner which is normally between 8-11 depending on what I'm doing. I am on 2x500 twice a day.

MICHAELD11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking 4x 500mg Metformin standard, two after breakfast two after dinner.I have been carrying our this regime for over ten years without any problems. I was advised in the beginning to use tablets after meals to avoid stomach upsets.

Paul3613

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT WHAT I WANT, Outdoor gardening, Bad weather, Floods, Bush fires, Below zero temperatures, Not being able to walk my dog (she is to old),

I'm told to take Meformin with meals. I don't understand whether that is because it can make you a bit loose and it's to avoid that or because it is most effective when taken with food.

I've got the slow release ones and I seem to have adapted to it not upsetting my stomach, but I keep forgetting to take them so rarely take my full dose in a day.

If I just set reminders then I'll take them fine, but a good chance not with food. Does that reduce their effectiveness at all?

I'm on 1 x 500mg slow release daily which I take in the morning just before breakfast, I been on this dose for over 3yrs & have never had any tummy problems. I have the medication sitting on my microwave with my fake sugar & coffee, therefore I see it in the morning when I make my first cuppa. I find that if I don't eat or drink anything after 9pm I don't have to get up to have a pee at night. Good luck, Paul..

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I take a Metformin 500 mg about 1 hour after my breakfast ..and two Metformin 1000 mg about 2 hours after my evening meal.

What works for me too is take a 0.2 ml Peppermint Oil capsule about an hour before breakfast, lunch and evening meal. (I get these on Prescription.)

I've also learned the importance of keeping hydrated ..this also fortuitously helps discharge ✻spent✻ Metformin from the body.

This is no doubt mentioned on this ✻board✻ and elsewhere numerous times, but I strongly advise folk on Metformin to take some time out to read the ✻Patient Information Leaflet✻ ..and always retain one for reference purposes ..and ✻use✻ the information.

Hope this helps in some way.

Gary Alger

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi, I take two metformin a day, one in the morning not always with breakfast (Some days I don’t have one) but usually around the same time. The evening one I take before going to bed (Sometimes well after the evening meal). I only have one Kidney so I drink a lot of water during the day and I have found this to help.

Gary

D

Deleted member 308541

I take one Metformin 500 XR twice a day, with food at breakfast and dinner.

I then take the rest of my various heart tablets just after I finish eating.