Memory and foggieness since being prescribed meds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’m two months into diagnosis, had metformin then slow release metformin but couldn’t tolerate either, now on 1tab of 50mg of Sitagliptin

My first two bloods to use for diagnosis were 52 then 72, I’m now using freestyle Libre sensors and they saying averaging around 6.8 - 7.0 in the two months I have been using them.

The biggest problem I am struggling with is in my head, physically not metaphorically, my memory and cognition specifically. Since being on the meds since my diagnosis I have noticed a distinct tailoff in my mental capacity to take in new information and it staying there, at work I work for a major energy company in their tech support for their web site users.

When call volumes in tech support drop and general billing calls increase, we get tacked on to take billing calls. While we have done some limited training on billing issues I am far from competent in being able to do the role to a acceptable level so I need to seek support from more experienced team members for advice and direction.

It is this that I have found I am now struggling, while months ago I had no problem learning my tech support routines, now when a colleague tells me how to carry out an action I just can’t seem to take that info in and use, my head seems confused and perpetually ‘foggy’ and I have to admit I am seriously not enjoying it and had a melt down at work yesterday after a particular difficult call.

An additional component in my case is that I also have Aspergers and it has never been a problem with me learning new skills so this is really knocking my confidence in the workplace. Also it’s not just at work, just generally through the day I just seem less on the ball.

Have any other members suffered similarly? I am also about to finally have a total elebow replacement in November that I put off for a year while I took this role on with the energy company. Now I feel after the surgery I am not going to be competent in the role to continue.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think you need to speak to GP.

I have memory problems but its from other meds than diabetes ones.

However, I say memory but it isnt. Its concentration. Two different functions in the brain. My concentrationis bad because of lack of sleep and broken sleep.

We must realise that meds do not necessaily always hit the places they are meant to... ie they are in our whole blood stream not just targetting liver or pancreas etc. Thats why side effects are listed.

However, as our levels lower our eyesight can improve etc so it could alao be because your body is coping with lower levels..

Its worth speaking to GP about because it could be that metformin reacts with different drugs you take or could be and endless list of things that could be affecting you from a disturbed sleep pattern or stress or meds or something that needs to be investigated more.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but I would also add that anything that affects metabolism and probably also brains metabolism would maybe create some impact on memory initially until the brain addapts. many with Aspergers do have excellent memory in some ways... but maybe it is only affecting memory in the short term... but keep an eye on this and do take action if you feel it is servere and continuing...

if you go very low carbing , you might be able to cope without taking metformin by the way

Reactions: donnellysdogs
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yep as broke my back in the army, have mobility issues and quite severe pain so a varied range of meds sadly, blood pressure, baclofen, pregabalin, zomorph, amatriptoline (sure that’s spelt wrong, an anti depressant normal but given to me as a low dose to help with neuropathic pain) and another that escapes me at the moment! And as required when pain worse than can cope, oramorph.

So yes a combination which i have ticked on by until being put on metformin and then sitaglipin then the cognition/memory issues started.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite likely there is some drug interaction going on. If there is any way to reduce your blood sugar thru a low-carb diet and avoid the Sitagliptin it might help? Are you already having a low-carb diet? I would suggest a review of all your drugs with the GP or pharmacist to see whether any changes and/or reductions in dosage are possible. Pharmacies can sometimes be better for this than the GP and armed with their advice you can discuss with the GP?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Metformin with a statin for about 5 weeks at the end of 2016 and it had a significant effect on memory, as in being able to remember what I had gone to find, where the car was in a car park - the final straw was finding the car and opening the back to discover it was full of shopping - I had done the Christmas shopping twice, a couple of days apart. After visiting my daughter after the first outing I had completely forgotten I'd been to the shops
I am just getting back to being able to sing my songs again at the folk club.
The thing which is really annoying is that by eating a low carb diet I have normal readings, but that was not mentioned by the doctor and actively discouraged by the diabetes education team.

Reactions: Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m two months into diagnosis, had metformin then slow release metformin but couldn’t tolerate either, now on 1tab of 50mg of Sitagliptin

My first two bloods to use for diagnosis were 52 then 72, I’m now using freestyle Libre sensors and they saying averaging around 6.8 - 7.0 in the two months I have been using them.

The biggest problem I am struggling with is in my head, physically not metaphorically, my memory and cognition specifically. Since being on the meds since my diagnosis I have noticed a distinct tailoff in my mental capacity to take in new information and it staying there, at work I work for a major energy company in their tech support for their web site users.

When call volumes in tech support drop and general billing calls increase, we get tacked on to take billing calls. While we have done some limited training on billing issues I am far from competent in being able to do the role to a acceptable level so I need to seek support from more experienced team members for advice and direction.

It is this that I have found I am now struggling, while months ago I had no problem learning my tech support routines, now when a colleague tells me how to carry out an action I just can’t seem to take that info in and use, my head seems confused and perpetually ‘foggy’ and I have to admit I am seriously not enjoying it and had a melt down at work yesterday after a particular difficult call.

An additional component in my case is that I also have Aspergers and it has never been a problem with me learning new skills so this is really knocking my confidence in the workplace. Also it’s not just at work, just generally through the day I just seem less on the ball.

Have any other members suffered similarly? I am also about to finally have a total elebow replacement in November that I put off for a year while I took this role on with the energy company. Now I feel after the surgery I am not going to be competent in the role to continue.

Hi there.

If you're curious, you could try putting your meds into this interactions checker: http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

A couple of years ago, my OH was having memory problems, and bearing in mind he is quite,........ erm,..... mature, he was particularly concerned about it, so toddled off to the Doc.

It actually transpired he was a bit dehydrated, but nothing else. He spends a lot of time in the Tropics, so of course, it's easy to see how that could happen. He upped his liquid intake, and things improved for him.

Irrespective of your findings, I would suggest you have a chat with your Doc.

I hope it improves for you, a foggy mind is horrid and frustrating.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi @Sunderlandafclad have you managed to get an appointment.

You are on quite a cocktail of drugs that can interact and adding in metformin etc may well interact.

If you could consider low carbing to help yourself with bloods it may stop having to use diabetic drugs.

Reactions: Freema
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Went to docs but wasn’t my normal one and didn’t really listen just said stop taking then come back in month! Not exactly helpful. Have diabetes nurse appointment in the morning so hopefully get some answers.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have reduced carbs massively to as little as 60g a day but av around 100g which as a fussy eater that’s good! Got my bloods to around 6.9 on Libre constant flash glucose monitor sys. My bloods were 52 then 72 so hoping my next batch are down in below 50’s hopefully!