Metaformin doesn't look like it's helping what do you think ??

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening everyone I hope you have had a good day/evening I was wondering if anybody is having problems with high blood glucose levels while on metaformin because I don't think mine are helping me with controlling my blood glucose I'm on 1500 per night s/r and every morning when I wake up my sugar levels are really high and this is before I even eat anything they can range from 9.6 to 13.6 I think that's high dose anybody else I'm doing everything I can to try and correct my sugar levels hardly any carbs lots of exercise iv even lost weight so what am I doing wrong here feeling frustrated with these reading because they don't seem to come down the only time my blood levels come down to 6.1 is if I stave myself all day just to get a normal reading and that makes me feel really ill dose anybody continue to have these problems and do the think I need a med review cause I can only do so much and I'm doing my upmost best to get it down and it's not working also within the last two weeks iv had two readings showing 18.2 and tonight's reading was 17.2 I know stress can effect my readings I suffer from a lot of pain I have crps nerve pain which doesn't help any suggestions I'm also quite angers me that my gp said not to test because I'm only type 2 well I will be telling him my views on this next week I'm really trying to take control over my diabetic and the doctors are not really supportive are they thank you for you time sorry for the little rant if I knew how to put my chart on here I would so you could see it Julie xx
image.jpg

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ps I don't think this is all my chart sorry just leaning how to do it lol jule

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if your BG is coming down when you don't eat, I think it means you are still eating too many carbs or too much protein
google the atkins induction diet online. there is enough on menus and food list to help you check it to what you are eating now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was under the impression that metformin only drops blood glucose by 1 or 2, and that it's main benefit to type 2 diabetics was to reduce insulin resistance.
https://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/sep2001_report_metformin_01.htm
I'm thinking that such a small drop in BG from metformin wouldn't really show up on @Julie40 's BG levels...

If anyone else has other knowledge on this, I am happy to be corrected!

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So dose that mean I will need a higher dose or somthing to go with it I'm totally confused iv lost over half a stone this month because of my meter showing me how high it's being but still hasn't made a difference but thank you so much for replying back it nice to hear off people who understand Julie :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating?
All that glucose in your blood has to come from somewhere...
I'm afraid I'm no expert on diabetes medication. I know a wee bit about metformin because I had to take it for a while, but the other medications are a mystery to me.

And have you ever heard of 'dawn phenomenon'?
Try googling it. It may explain your high morning readings

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it refers to the A1c %, a drop of 1-2%, they say met takes 3 weeks to kick in and 3 mths for max effect.
as well as insulin resistance met helps with DP liver dump and delays digestion, it's quite a good med. but diet is the main T2 effect from what I have found

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iv cut out most carbs now since having the meter instead of potatoes I have mashed veg without butter in the morning I have porridge for breakfast with a couple of blueberries lunch time I have boiled eggs and dinner time I either have pork or chicken with the vegetables and in between I have a banana or a couple of nuts just to see me throughout the day I have no sugar and no pudding thank you Julie

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iv being on metaformin since last year and on my 3 monthly check up it went even higher and I had lost a stone in weight my doctor said I was doing everything I can and he would check them a again in 6 months time even here was surprised I'm due my bloods in August now Julie

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So dose that mean I will need a higher dose or somthing to go with it I'm totally confused iv lost over half a stone this month because of my meter showing me how high it's being but still hasn't made a difference but thank you so much for replying back it nice to hear off people who understand Julie :)
check your diet and exercise first, It looks like you can get it down with this..your not eating BG results show this
if it doesn't drop, then ask your Dr to raise your met or add another drug if needed,

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite a few people on here have real problems with porridge & bananas huni. Difficult to see from your graph but are you testing before meals & then 2 hours after to see what effect the foods you are eating have on your blood levels? That could be a good starting point for you. (Apologies if you are already doing this). You say you have lost weight but do you have more to lose? Insulin resistance could be having an effect too. Hope you soon get it sorted out. Diabetes can be a b%$$*r to get control of~it's all a balancing act.

Smartie xx

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes iv being testing before breakfast and the 2 hours after and the same again in the evening I was 11 stone when I was dionoged last year and iv got myself down to just under 9 and a half stone last time I went to the doctors he said they might have to had another medication as well but I really wanted to avoid that yes I know what you mean about a seesaw act I feel like I'm on one lol I will cut out the banana and may try shredded wheat instead thank you both for your advice Julie

mark no sugar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Julie,I'm new to having diabetes.Because I have had my 2nd kidney transplant ,the medication I'm on makes my blood sugar rise.As with yourself my readings are up and down.I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although you say you are cutting carbohydrates, you still talk about eating very high carbohydrate foods like porridge, shredded wheat, bananas - so I wonder really how much you understand about carbs. If you need a guide, the diet doctor site explains it very well: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Also which vegetables are you eating? Vegetables like potato, sweet potato, even carrot for some people have high carbohydrate levels and/or impact their BG levels. You'll only find out by testing which foods affect you.

It would probably be a good idea for you to start weighing your food and checking carbohydrate values - a good site for that is the Calorie King website.

An excellent resource for all things diabetes is the Blood Sugar 101 website - it will explain insulin resistance and other important factors: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iv cut out all potateo just have mashed up cauliflower and carrot I will check up the carbs thing and start weighing my foods out thank you for your advice and mark no sugar thank you for replying to I hope your ok and that we can all help each other out Julie xx

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes you to but it's all very frustrating isn't it when blood sugars are all over the place we can only do our best and you stay positive has well good luck I know it must be hard for you keep your chin up thanks Julie

mark no sugar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you to but it's all very frustrating isn't it when blood sugars are all over the place we can only do our best and you stay positive has well good luck I know it must be hard for you keep your chin up thanks Julie

mark no sugar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Julie,the way I see it,all the medical problems I've had ,(nearly died 3times,due to immune suppressive tablets ,therefore catching things)'I am still here,!All the pain and depression has moulded me into the person I am today.i am more tolerant to things and not serious about life issues.Best way to be.A healthy attitude is what's needed,

Reactions: 3 people