Meter accuracy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been knee deep in tile and grout myself. We do(did) loads of home remodels.

Can I bring cauli rice? Lol. I never go empty handed!!!

Shrimp to put put on the Barbie? ( my lame Australian accent included )

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could try to go all posh lol and get the liber I would love to not prick for a bit!
Wonder if I can get it in the US! Probably not. You guys got all the cool stuff. ( other than Mexican and california avocados!)
Is the libre accurare? Can you give me a brief synopsis how it works?

I thought that Abbott was an American company so you should be able to get it there.

There have been some concerns about accuracy of the Libre system. Each individual sensor might be different from the next one and the user should make the odd comparison with a conventional meter. I think they are getting better since the last two I have used have compared well with my Freestyle Lite. If the sensor is out of spec there seems to be no trouble getting it replaced by Abbott. They ask for the broken one back which I suppose is to find out how it broke so that improvements can be made.

A sensor is stuck to the back of your arm. A small filament goes into the skin but is is painless. After 24 hours you start the sensor by scanning it and telling the scanner that you want it started. One hour later you just scan it every time you want a reading. It's like being let out of prison since if you are obsessed you can scan a hundred times a day. Each sensor lasts two weeks.

There is a downloadable program which gives reports based on the results of the scans. For this you plug the scanner into your computer. One of the things it does is to make a prediction about the forthcoming Hba1c.

It is expensive but can be cost effective if you previously used lots of test strips. In England the sensors are about £50 each and the scanner is also about £50. You pay your money and you learn a lot.

Reactions: bren1antoh
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ho Hum

FREESTYLE LIBRE FLASH GLUCOSE MONITORING SYSTEM (THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lmao!!! Why would something so nice be here??? Of course not.

Though I did look it up and it gave US and U.K. Prices. $75 here. Not sure if that's for both the sensor and scanner or just the sensor. It was just a quick Google. Thanks for the explanation. I'll look deeper.

After thinking about my A1C and reading all of you lovely peoples replies I decided I'm definatley using my strip. Is there any accurate meter?
The big thing is ....during the day and through the night I'm generally in the 80's. A few 90 and a few 70. However, I didn't take into account DP. Mine starts around 6 am and I'm usually still in the 80's-90's and then I wake up around 7:30-8 and I'm over 100, more so in the teens. It takes my bf shot and a shot an hour later to stop any further rise and bring it back down. So that could be 4 hours over 100.
Doc says my meter is inaccurate butwhen I think about it my body says it's not. When I go below 72 I feel low. And I am!! His meter said 107 and 99. Mine said 83 both times. So who's is inaccurate? Even if mine is it's consistently inaccurate lol.
As for DP my husband leaves for work at 6. He's been giving me a 1/2 unit and it's knocking it in its track. Today woke up at 75. Not 115. I'll see how this goes. I might just prefer to be a tad higher and not a voodoo doll.

Thanks for all your help @Squire Fulwood :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Can I bring cauli rice? Lol. I never go empty handed!!!

Shrimp to put put on the Barbie? ( my lame Australian accent included )
Leave the cauli rice at home as my mates dog does not like it either.

Shrimp are called prawns here, that advert with Paul Hogan saying that,was a tourist advert aimed at the US public to visit Australia. Australian do not call them that EVER!

Have no fear though, I have 2 x 5Kg boxes of "prawns" in the freezer we picked up the other week.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Then we're all set!

I didn't mean to offend and I'm not all that familiar with Australian lingo. Sorry.