Meter Conversion

Nick4344

Hi. Apologies if this has been answered before.

Trying to convert my daily blood sugar meter readings to my lab test hbA1c reading.

Initial lab reading was 49. Waiting on result of second lab test. In the meantime my mysugr app estimated hbA1c reading is 5.7 after a couple of weeks of a changed diet.

How does this to convert to the equivalent of my original lab result of 49?

Thank you.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here you go:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

But do bear in mind that, in a way, you're comparing apples to oranges in comparing your BG meter readings with your HbA1c. Your meter will tell you what is happening in your blood right now, and (aside from the meters' variance of +/- 15%) will be influenced by other factors including stress, illness, diet and whatnot. The HbA1c is an average of your BG over the last 9 -12 weeks, but won't give any clues about patterns, trends or when your BG is high or low.

Both forms of tests are important but they work in very different ways: many of us often find that our HbA1c reading differs to what our meters suggest it could be (for better or worse).

I don't mean to disappoint you and think you're doing great - I have my fingers crossed that your result reflects your hard work!

Sock x

Reactions: miszu

Nick4344

Thank you. My diet has changed a lot so I'm not expecting much from the hbac1 reading from a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the doctor will just tell me to change my diet and my next lab test will be more reflective of what I'm eating.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, if you've been following a low-carb diet and controlling your BG for 9+ weeks, you should definitely see an improvement.

Also, it should typically only take a lab 5 or so days to post an HbA1c result (they post them as soon as they do them, and the samples don't have a hugely long life, so they have to be pretty quick about it). so you should be able to phone up and find out what your results are if it's been more than a week since your test.

Or go online... somehow - apparently that's a thing you can do (though I've not tried it!). But, yeah, your result should be available if your blood test was more than a week ago.

You're doing great :)

Nick4344

Thanks! I work away a lot and stay in hotels so it's not easy to get to see a GP, especially when they say I need to see the same one for continuity. Narrows it down even further.

I'll try and get a phone consult.

Back in the late 90's I had a similar scare. I went on Atkins and lost 2 stone and it' was sorted. I'm older now and not as heavy as I was from that starting position. Hopefully my lifestyle changes will make a difference this time too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FullSizeRender.jpg
Hi Nick 4334, I'm wondering if you're confusing the figures on MySugr? The average circled in pink is the average of your blood sugar readings over the time period selected, in my picture it's 'Today', it's measured in mmols/l. The number circled in yellow is what the app estimates your current HbA1c would be and it's measured in mmols/mol. The HbA1c estimate will only show if you've input enough data.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FullSizeRender.jpg
How do I set it to the new measurement?
I was just looking at that. Here you go:
Click menu top left in the green circle.
Then click A1C unit in the pink circle.
Then switch from percentage to mmol/mol in the yellow circle.
EDIT. Oopsie missed a couple of steps, after menu click on Profile and settings then therapy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia

Nick4344

Looks like I have different settings. I don't have the option in pink, and the settings in what I think is the equivalent are mmol/l or mg/dl - you have percent

ced9373dc86e6ba5c64db3a097c90d6f.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like I have different settings. I don't have the option in pink, and the settings in what I think is the equivalent are mmol/l or mg/dl - you have percent

ced9373dc86e6ba5c64db3a097c90d6f.jpg
You need to scroll down a bit further and you'll find the A1c setting.