Meters and strips

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi. Can anyone supply information as to were I can buy a meter and the strips please? And when I would test like when I get up and before bed? Test after everything I eat even if it's a piece of fruit? How do you tell if your bloods are ok if you have a casserole? Such as a turkey mince with tomatoes, mixed veg etc....

All help will be appreciated

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
,Most self funders buy the Code Free meter from http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm as the meter and strips are relatively cheap, they do a promo if you buy 5 tubs 264086 or 10 tubs 975833 enter the promo code at checkout, be sure to buy the mmol meter.
Testing is usually done on waking before eating breakfast, and at 1 and/or 2hours after, the same with all meals before and after then before bed, this will tell you how much what you have eaten has affected your blood sugars if the rise is more than 2mmol then the portion is to big or there are too many carbs in it or even both.
There are lots of threads/posts that will help you work out what you need to do.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Alan22
The Codefree meter is a popular choice, mainly because the test strips are a reasonable price compared to others
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
This is their site and here are some discount codes for the strips. 5 packs--264086. 10 packs --975833
Make sure you get plenty of strips because to start with you will be doing a lot of finger pricking.
In order to learn what foods you can eat and what should be avoided or maybe have a smaller portion.
You need to test before you eat and again 2hrs after, if the post test is 2mmol or more higher than the pre meal test then you rethink that meal. After a while you will have a good idea what foods will affect your bs and will be able to ease up on the testing. Many of us like to do a fasting test first thing in the morning to see if our friendly livers have given us a shot of glucose in the night.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and well done for deciding to get a meter. It's not a high price to pay for peace of mind about what you can eat. Since you have told us you go to the gym 3 times a week this may have a bearing on your preferred diet so you might find the fitness, exercise & sport section helpful. I expect you're already browsing the low-carb recipe section.
All the best.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Satindoll and catinahat, thanks for the link and codes. Did not realise that the strips were so cheap at £6.49 for 50. Also thanks for the info when to test. One question is should I test b4, during or after exercise?

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
DeejayR yes ordering the The SD CodeFree Blood Glucose Monitoring System. I will check the fitness, exercise and sport section. Will let you know how I get on. Latest Hb1ac is 50mmol or 6.7%

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
You can also connect the SD meter via a a data cable which you can get from the same suppliers although the free SD software is a bit strange until you get used to it.
Best get the get the date and time setup on your new meter before you start using it so you can use the weekly and monthly averages available from the meter.

goose64

I bought a codefree from amazon but even with the cheaper strips I can only occasionally afford them