Metformin 500mg twice a day

Johnmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks I am male and 67 years old. I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 in January 2017. A Question for the community? Has anyone suffered from toothache from hell? In March of this year I felt a sharp pain in my lower jaw back teeth on the left, every time I ate or brushed my teeth? New that I had a broken tooth in that area which was seen by Dentist many years ago and repaired. So saw dentist and renewed filling, and has been ok ever since. But the beginning Of June this year noticed that my upper jaw back teeth on the same side became sensitive whilst eating and brushing teeth. The sensitivity became very acute and started to really hurt whilst eating and brushing. Made appointment with Denist usual inspection with x ray etc but nothing found? I should say by now eating or brushing teeth became a nightmare as pain would last from a few seconds to 10 plus minutes. Could this be the Metformin reducing my Ph levels and driving the acidity in my mouth up as this only happens with food or brushing teeth. Again the PAIN is pure agony? Anyone had similar issues with teeth sensivity. Have stopped taking Metformin as of today as I feel that 1000mg seems excessive?

D

Deleted member 308541

I have had no problems with my bottom teeth aching / sensitivity after taking 2 x 500mg Metformin daily for eight months.

I have a full plate at the top so feel nothing there.

Reactions: Johnmr2

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi folks I am male and 67 years old. I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 in January 2017. A Question for the community? Has anyone suffered from toothache from hell? In March of this year I felt a sharp pain in my lower jaw back teeth on the left, every time I ate or brushed my teeth? New that I had a broken tooth in that area which was seen by Dentist many years ago and repaired. So saw dentist and renewed filling, and has been ok ever since. But the beginning Of June this year noticed that my upper jaw back teeth on the same side became sensitive whilst eating and brushing teeth. The sensitivity became very acute and started to really hurt whilst eating and brushing. Made appointment with Denist usual inspection with x ray etc but nothing found? I should say by now eating or brushing teeth became a nightmare as pain would last from a few seconds to 10 plus minutes. Could this be the Metformin reducing my Ph levels and driving the acidity in my mouth up as this only happens with food or brushing teeth. Again the PAIN is pure agony? Anyone had similar issues with teeth sensivity. Have stopped taking Metformin as of today as I feel that 1000mg seems excessive?
Welcome to the forum @Johnmr2 . 1000mg per day does sound a great amount. I have no experience with metformin, but it would be advisable to report this oral sensitivity to your gp. It could be an allergic reation or some other problem with sensitivity to medication. It is better to get it checked rather than suffer in silence.

Reactions: Janr20

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've taken metformin 1000mg and 2000mg now with no mouth/teeth sensitivity.
Now. You could have an aggravated inflammed vessel in your jaw? Caused by bgs higher than 7.8mmol/l.
My advice is to prick test your bgs more often til under control.
Keep your bgs low for a few weeks (or permenantly, if posdible) to feel its benefit. Failing that use supplement r-ala to help with nerve irritation.

Reactions: Johnmr2