Type 2 Metformin and eyebrow waxing

Kirsto85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon, this one is mostly for the ladies but have any of you noticed any reaction when you have had eyebrows waxed since taking metformin? I recently had my eyebrows waxed and took a reaction where my eyebrows ended up painful, swollen and really red, by that I mean more than the usual redness and stinging after a wax! It was so bad I was in severe pain just washing my face. I contacted my beautician ( who is fully qualified and has been doing my treatments for years) to ask if maybe she had changed her products but she hasn't, she used the same product she always has. The only thing that has changed is I am taking metformin just wondering if anyone knows if this could have caused the reaction? I couldn't find anything on the information leaflet to suggest it would. Thankfully it has started to calm down, no longer painful or swollen but still red so I haven't contacted my doctor as it has been over the weekend thought I would ask the question here first before I asked a doctors advice.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon, this one is mostly for the ladies but have any of you noticed any reaction when you have had eyebrows waxed since taking metformin? I recently had my eyebrows waxed and took a reaction where my eyebrows ended up painful, swollen and really red, by that I mean more than the usual redness and stinging after a wax! It was so bad I was in severe pain just washing my face. I contacted my beautician ( who is fully qualified and has been doing my treatments for years) to ask if maybe she had changed her products but she hasn't, she used the same product she always has. The only thing that has changed is I am taking metformin just wondering if anyone knows if this could have caused the reaction? I couldn't find anything on the information leaflet to suggest it would. Thankfully it has started to calm down, no longer painful or swollen but still red so I haven't contacted my doctor as it has been over the weekend thought I would ask the question here first before I asked a doctors advice.

no but I have had eczema on my hands since started taking metformin.... don´t know it that is a coincidence or if it has to do with metformin or the fitness center and the rubber on those mashines or liquid to clean them... I also have to get up several times at night to go to the loo if I eat my metformin in the afternoon or evening... but not when I take all first thin in the morning.:meh: I think metformin is a very body strange medication... so maybe it is not good for a lot of reasons, but still help lower my morning blood glucose, and untill I am ready to go lower carb like under 30 grams a day or by myself get lower morning blood glucose I am not ready to give it up yet..

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None whatsoever-I get waxing on eyebrows, chin, lip, underarm and legs and never had a adverse reaction, both before and after diagnosis and meds. The only time I had anything was when the wax was slightly too hot (not burning) and it was a like you are describing but just on my chin.

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No.
I have started having a reaction to almond nuts thou.
Have you eaten nuts more lately?

Lenah_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope, have not noticed that at all. And I get my brows down every few weeks. Maybe you're at a more sensitive time in your cycle?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up on waxing when this kind of reaction started happening every time (not related to Metformin)
Also got a painful white pinhead rash, on red sore skin.

Yet i have never had a problem with epilating, so i just assumed it was the wax. Perfume? Heat? Wax itself? Never knew, but it definitely wasn't worth the hassle.

Last edited:

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fortunately not also - regularly get legs, underarms and brows waxed (and brows tinted) and no reaction - again either before or after starting on Metformin (slow release).

I take all mine last thing at night - usually at least 2 hours after eating though and no ill effects at all - so maybe I'm just different:):)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to find my skin was more sensitive during certain parts of my cycle. I would find it uncomfortable, but can't recall if it looked any more inflamed at those times.