Metformin and stomach issues - am I making it worse?

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at the begining of the month and started on normal metformin 500mg twice a day. It gave me stomach ache and diarrhoea so my doctor changed me over to the SR version which I take 750mg with my evening meal, I've been on these since last thursday, so almost a week, and I'm still having stomach problems. Since starting on the metformin I've been taking loperamide (imodium) after every stomach upset, but now I'm wondering if that could be contributing in a way to the issues I'm having?

Reactions: DrQ

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed at the begining of the month and started on normal metformin 500mg twice a day. It gave me stomach ache and diarrhoea so my doctor changed me over to the SR version which I take 750mg with my evening meal, I've been on these since last thursday, so almost a week, and I'm still having stomach problems. Since starting on the metformin I've been taking loperamide (imodium) after every stomach upset, but now I'm wondering if that could be contributing in a way to the issues I'm having?
Hi ClareBearJ. This happened to me also but with the change to slow release things did settle down but yes it took more than a week.