Metformin and Swollen Feet and Ankles

Sugar Plum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Has anybody developed swollen feet and ankles by taking Metformin ?

I took 2 tabs @ 500 mg per day for a very long time with no problems. When increased to 3 tabs @ 500 mg per day my left foot started to puff up a little. When increased to 4 tabs @ 500 mg per day, the left foot and ankle became swollen and the right foot also.

My Doctor has reduced the Metformin to 2 tabs per day @ 500 mg and supplemented it with 1 tab Gliclazide @ 80 mg per day. It is too early to make a judgement, but my feet have almost returned to normal after just over a week. Other people on the web have complained about 2,000 mg of Metformin per day making their feet and ankles swell.

Has anybody else had this trouble ?
from the look of it at present, in my case there is no doubt about it.

My last HbA1c reading over month ago was 63 mmol/mol or 7.9 %. Not a disaster, but could be better.

Netty70

Sugar Plum said:
Has anybody developed swollen feet and ankles by taking Metformin ?

I took 2 tabs @ 500 mg per day for a very long time with no problems. When increased to 3 tabs @ 500 mg per day my left foot started to puff up a little. When increased to 4 tabs @ 500 mg per day, the left foot and ankle became swollen and the right foot also.

My Doctor has reduced the Metformin to 2 tabs per day @ 500 mg and supplemented it with 1 tab Gliclazide @ 80 mg per day. It is too early to make a judgement, but my feet have almost returned to normal after just over a week. Other people on the web have complained about 2,000 mg of Metformin per day making their feet and ankles swell.

Has anybody else had this trouble ?
from the look of it at present, in my case there is no doubt about it.

My last HbA1c reading over month ago was 63 mmol/mol or 7.9 %. Not a disaster, but could be better.

Never had this problem sorry
Hope you get it sorted :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SpaceChick

Just started Metformin and had swollen feet and ankles for 2 day, this started 3 days after I started the meds, but now it's gone, feet and ankles back to normal.

Dont know if it's the meds or just the heat :wink:

Sugar Plum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list.
My key to this matter is the rather high dose of 2,000mg Metformin per day.
My feet and ankles are so far vastly improved since I had the Metformin dose reduced.

This problem occurred before the hot weather hit us.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sugar Plum :)

Are you on any other medication.
When my feet started to swell etc; the problem was caused by the make of low cost blood pressure medication I was given.
(they changed the make willie nillie and It took a few months for the penny to drop before they realized the cause)
A different better quality of medication soon put my feet back to normal.

Sugar Plum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list.
@ izzzi

I take Ramipril, Atenolol and Indapamide, one of each every morning. have been on those for years now and they never caused swollen feet.

mptonly1

Yes I have had foot & ankle swelling on 2000mgs Metformin XR. I recently discontinued Metformin to have an MRI with contrast. After stopping Metformin many chronic medical problems cleared including the swelling. I have since changed medication. Wish my doctors had considered metformin instead of my weight as the source of all my ills. Good luck!

Harbottle

I too have just been suffering swollen feet and ankles. I'm on 2000mgs metforfin and just gone on to Januvia. At the moment the swelling has reduced somewhat. But my feet and ankles feel very sore.

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm newly diagnosed and have been taking metforfin for just over a week last night I noticed my feet were swollen.

G

graj0

I've been taking Metformin for 17 years but I don't seem to have a problem with retained fluid. If I take soluble cocodomol I have horrendous fluid retention problems, I can gain 5 kgs in a week, so that's 5 litres of fluid. I now know that 8 soluble tablets (max daily dose) has 50% more salt than the RDA. In the past this has also led to higher BP but doesn't seem to be an issue these days.

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's interesting. I recently had an operation and was put on a high dose of cocodomol afterwards. I had issues with my feet then, being a gout sufferer I out it down to that but at the same time gave up smoking and eat more with probably a higher salt content in my diet. Now I'm being more careful with the diet things may improve. I'll certainly watch the salt.
Many thanks for your reply.

izzy

I have read your post with interest. My OH is diabetic on Metformin and insulin. For some time now he has been experiencing swollen feet and ankles. The cause has been baffling as he has had blood tests for kidney function,, liver function and heart problems, all of which have come back within normal parameters indicating no problems. His last HbA1c was 8.3% which in not brilliant but heading in the right direction.
It is something We will certainly raise with the Gp on the next appointment.

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I told my GP about my feet he thought it was to do with my weight. However, over the summer I wore sandals and that made it worse!
What has helped is wearing sensible shoes but my feet still worry me and my legs seem to ache constantly. I do hope your OH gets a good response from his GP.

jman689

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am not diabetic I'm only taking metphormin because of my steroid the mg is 500 HCL ER and my ankles have started swelling

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am not diabetic I'm only taking metphormin because of my steroid the mg is 500 HCL ER and my ankles have started swelling
Swollen ankles could be a serious thing so I suggest seeing your doctor.

pouhoboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not much
I take Metformin 2 x 850 mg ,been on it for i week plus,also having swollen ankles, also on insulin pump.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm on metformin too. 2 x 500mg, and while I do get swollen feet and lower legs regularly I don't connect it to my medication, as I tended to slush about even before I was diagnosed. The swelling tends to last perhaps one week, perhaps two, but suddenly all that water goes 'poof' and my feet are all normal and I can see the blue veins again. I've never managed to find a pattern to this aquatically obnoxious behavior. I've just come through another episode of water retention, but over the last two days I've lost 3.4 kgs - all water, I'm sure.
So what do I do when retaining fluids? I try to keep my legs elevated above hip level, and to walk a bit more, but to be honest I'm not so sure it makes a lot of difference. Waiting for someone to pull the plug seems to be what works for me.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Has anybody developed swollen feet and ankles by taking Metformin
Does it feel as if your calf muscle(s) are sore at all? A DVT can easily be mistaken for a sore muscle, and one leg is often thicker than the other.

D

Deleted member 308541

Does it feel as if your calf muscle(s) are sore at all? A DVT can easily be mistaken for a sore muscle, and one leg is often thicker than the other.
This thread is nearly five years old, I doubt @Sugar Plum will be still following her thread.