metformin dosage

SeanF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed Type 2 one year ago and prescribed 500mg Metformin Modified Release. Due to cut backs got letter from Drs surgery saying changing my prescription from 500mg modified release to 500mg Immediate release. I am worried as NICE guidelines and BNF both list recommended dosage of Metformin Immediate release for type 2 diabetes as 500mg 3 times daily with meals. Im worried that when I start new medication regime I will only be helped by medication for one meal per day. Any thoughts please?

Reactions: Carterbpool

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin doesn't act on blood glucose from the food just eaten, it affects the liver's activity in releasing glucose from energy stores. It is a long term action and takes time to build up and to disperse.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

SeanF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Resurgam. Does that mean that 500mg immediate release is as effective as 500mg of modified release? Assuming no problems with toleration or side effects.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Resurgam. Does that mean that 500mg immediate release is as effective as 500mg of modified release? Assuming no problems with toleration or side effects.

Yes, exactly that.

Are you relying on your Metformin to keep your blood levels in check, or are you choosing better food options? Diet is the key.