Metformin effects

Barbja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi, this has been troubling me for ages.

I was diagnosed T2 about 16 years ago, long enough to have sorted out my food/fruit/drinks likes and dislikes.

What I still haven't sorted out is why, every once in a while, I develop a sudden need to use the toilet with no real prior warning. My other half thinks it's metformin, I take 2 x 500 twice a day, with food, I have my routine set in stone, food, pills, coffee for breakfast. Food, pills drink each evening.

Could metformin be the cause if my suffering with what I can ably describe as 'loose bowels' and occassional accidents.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
hi, this has been troubling me for ages.

I was diagnosed T2 about 16 years ago, long enough to have sorted out my food/fruit/drinks likes and dislikes.

What I still haven't sorted out is why, every once in a while, I develop a sudden need to use the toilet with no real prior warning. My other half thinks it's metformin, I take 2 x 500 twice a day, with food, I have my routine set in stone, food, pills, coffee for breakfast. Food, pills drink each evening.

Could metformin be the cause if my suffering with what I can ably describe as 'loose bowels' and occassional accidents.

Metformin is well known for causing an upset stomach. If not already using it then try the slow release (SR) version.

If you search on metformin using the search bar at the top right of the screen you will find many threads on this.

Some people cannot tolerate metformin in any way.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ours wont issue it unless youve trialed the standard stuff.