Metformin Going Up on Friday

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again, so for the last 2 weeks, since diagnosis with type 2, I have eaten < 100g of carbohydrate per day. I took 500mgs of Metformin a day at breakfast week one then 500mgs at breakfast and another 500mgs at evening meal week 2. I'm due to go up to 3 per day from this Friday. I'm not experiencing any stomach upset now (I did just for the first few days), so am wondering how best to space the tablets? Would it be acceptable to have one when I wake, one with lunch normally around 2pm and one at bedtime? I'm still getting higher sugars pre breakfast than the rest of the day, so wonder if taking a tablet at bedtime might help that?
Oh and PS I've lost nearly a stone in weight since my first dodgy blood test 3 weeks ago!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin will do very little to reduce your blood sugars . It will be your reduction is carbs that will reduce your sugar levels. I used to have 20g of carbs a day to keep my sugar levels stable, its ok now as its pushed my T2 into remission.
I just took mine with food to avoid tummy problems.
Well done on the weight loss.

Reactions: Rachox

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just stopped taking metformin after discussion with my diabetes nurse last Tuesday. My blood sugars have reduced from 13 down to around 5.5, mostly due to a low carb diet. I don't think metformin helps that much and has side effects like making me get up in the night to pee. I was feeling very tired on metformin, so prefer to stop taking it. Over 2x500 has only a tiny additional benefit in lowering blood glucose.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on that weight loss! That is brilliant. :)

I've never taken Metformin so I can't advise on when to take them, other than with food.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just stopped taking metformin after discussion with my diabetes nurse last Tuesday. My blood sugars have reduced from 13 down to around 5.5, mostly due to a low carb diet. I don't think metformin helps that much and has side effects like making me get up in the night to pee. I was feeling very tired on metformin, so prefer to stop taking it. Over 2x500 has only a tiny additional benefit in lowering blood glucose.
I agree that in terms of bgl reduction, Metformin is a weakling, and upping the dose to 2+ tabs will not really improve any further, However, the main benefit that Metformin offers is in helping to reduce Insulin Resistance in T2D, and there are other benefits in terms of our cardiovascular system. It is a long term medication and needs to build up gradually in your system which is why your introduction is staged as it has been, I am on 4x 500 mg a day now, and have been for over 10 years, but I am considering requesting to halve this dose when I see my GP next week. I have managed to use LC diet to reduce all my other diabetes meds, so why not this one, eh?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hesitate to make a suggestion about Metformin in case the tummy gripe arrives with the advice. You are supposed to take them with food so find three meals to take them with. The suggested one when you get up doesn't sound a good idea unless you have breakfast with it.

I agree with what others have said about its effectiveness. It doesn't begin to compare with a low carb diet. Congratulations on the weight loss, it's impressive.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your replies, lots to consider there