Metformin - how long before it starts to work

wakeupcall

I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jan 2006 (I have been in denial for 3 years + and now it's finally hit home. I have just been put on Metformin 500g tablets, started taking them yesterday, how long do they take to work, as I am still getiing a dry mouth quite a lot and urinating frequently, its scaring me a bit :?: .

Spiral

Welcome, denial isn't that unusal a response because the impact of the long term complications of diabetes take a while to develop and you feel reasonably okay, or at least the vague and non-specific symptoms could be due to any number of things :? . I didn't do anything when I was told I had some insulin resistance about 3 years ago, knowing the family history and having had gestational diabetes :?

My diagnosis in late February/early March wasn't a surprise and I initially refused medication, saying I wanted to see what I could do with diet alone. I have tested my blood glocuse regularly since May to see what the impact of the dietary changes I have been making has been. Since I started to change my diet I have lost loads of weight and reduced my blood sugar readings since I started low carbing about 3 months ago, I initally cut out all sugar and junk food, then adopted a low GI diet for a few weeks and finally started low carbing in May.

In reducing my blood sugar I no longer get daily headaches and am not fatigued anymore and have a lot more energy. I have also lost the indigestion and acid reflux I was getting regalarly. I have also lost 25% of the weight I need to lose - I need to be half the woman I was at diagnosis. My dry mouth is improving (this was really the only diabetic symptom I had) and my teeth don't feel so "furry" when I wake up in the morning. I feel a lot better than I have done for years :D

This week I have finally accepted metformin, which has made my GP very happy, and I plan to start taking it at the weekend, once I have collected the prescription. This is because I want to get to where I am going a bit quicker and I get bored easily :wink: The people here tell me it is a relatively safe drug which will reduce my blood sugar by a couple of points and help with weight loss by curbing my appetite further. I'm not sure of my current HbA1c, but it was 7% when it was tested in May, I'm hoping to be a lot closer to 6% when I get the results of the last test back tomorrow. I am aiming for normal blood sugar, which makes my chances of developing the longer term complications the same as the rest of the population.

I'm hoping to see some fairly rapid improvements, but I understand that they do build up over a few weeks, so I will be moniotoring this closely. I seem to remember that one of the other members, hanadr, experiemented by stopping some of her metformin for a few days a month or so back and she saw a fairly immediate impact on her readings, so she started it again.

Also, what I understand about metfomin is that it works well with a low carb diet. I have heard that this can reduce the windyness some people experience :shock:

Jump in, look around and ask questions. People here are very knowledgable and generous with their time in answering posts.

wallycorker

Hi wakeupcall,

I'm a Type 2 on metformin and I'm far from convinced that the tablets did very much at all for me. Certainly, I don't recommend that you sit back and wait for the tablets to sort things out for you because I don't think that they will except to slow your progression down a little bit.

I reversed my Type 2 condition by changing my diet. In my opinion diet is your most powerful weapon in fighting your condition.

I recommend that if you aren't already doing so that you start testing and then cut back on the foods that take you blood glucose levels over 8 mmol/l. I think that you will find that means cutting back on carbohydrate intake - cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc. The improvement comes very quickly in the experience of most people.

Best Wishes - John

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
At my 3 month post diagnosis review, I lost 3 stone and HBA1C was down from 10.3 to 5.8, so DN asked me to reduce my Metformin to 1 x 500 from 2 x 500. That was August 13th. I have managed to maintain good control since the reduction.

Steve.

wallycorker

Bluenosesol said:
At my 3 month post diagnosis review, I lost 3 stone and HBA1C was down from 10.3 to 5.8, so DN asked me to reduce my Metformin to 1 x 500 from 2 x 500. That was August 13th. I have managed to maintain good control since the reduction.

Steve.
That's a massive change in such a short time Steve! Well done! It just shows what can be achieved.

My GP has left my dosage of metformin at 2 x 1000 for the time being despite my improvement with HbA1c down to 5.3% last time.

How did you achieve your improvement?

Best Wishes - John

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi John,

I went from fairly sedentary to a 3.5 mile walk daily, 6 mile cycle "most days" and bought some gym gear off ebay to put in the garage which I use now and then also do a bit of weight training. I lo-carb diet (max 50g daily more normally 40g).

Steve.

wallycorker

Wow Steve - That is impressive!

I've changed my diet over the last twelve months and that has had a massive effect on my diabetic condition. However, I haven't really changed anything as regards exercise. I do far too little most days.