Bagster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Annoying people
Hi,

Just recently been diagnosed (2 weeks) with T2 and was put on Metformin, and after 2 days had cramps, reflux generally feeling poorly.

Joined this awesome forum today and have been reading so many posts that are similar to my side affects above.

Help is at hand, I went straight back to my GP who told me, there is 2 types of Metformin,

1st one is the cheaper version everyone gets that can have all the side affects listed and more.

2nd one is more expensive (GO words) and only given if you can't handle the 1st one.

So don't just put up with the 1st one side affects, go back to your GP and tell them your poorly and can't take the Metformin and hopefully you will get the 2nd one.

They are night and day, the 2nd one I believe is coated differently and has a slow release, all my reflux and feeling poorly stopped as soon as I changed over.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes and the annoying thing is that the SR version is only slightly more expensive than the standard one. My GP prescribed SR from Day 1.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for the constipation followed by explosive diarrhoea that I had on the slow release version.
Fingers crossed you don't get that one..

Reactions: KimWheeler

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Just recently been diagnosed (2 weeks) with T2 and was put on Metformin, and after 2 days had cramps, reflux generally feeling poorly.

Joined this awesome forum today and have been reading so many posts that are similar to my side affects above.

Help is at hand, I went straight back to my GP who told me, there is 2 types of Metformin,

1st one is the cheaper version everyone gets that can have all the side affects listed and more.

2nd one is more expensive (GO words) and only given if you can't handle the 1st one.

So don't just put up with the 1st one side affects, go back to your GP and tell them your poorly and can't take the Metformin and hopefully you will get the 2nd one.

They are night and day, the 2nd one I believe is coated differently and has a slow release, all my reflux and feeling poorly stopped as soon as I changed over.

if metformin gives you a problem then a low carb diet on its own is quite likely to achieve a good an effect - worked fine for me and many others here without metformin, Metformin comes into its own when people don't change diet. Its action does not seem to be much different from a low carb diet on it own.

Bagster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Annoying people
Watch out for the constipation followed by explosive diarrhoea that I had on the slow release version.
Fingers crossed you don't get that one..

Just another thing to add to the fire ;-) thanks for the heads up.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just another thing to add to the fire ;-) thanks for the heads up.
i switched to a lchf diet shortly after having to go back on metformin sr (having been off it a year). i found the combination of lchf and metformin sometimes made me very constipated - the advice i got from a nutritionist was to up my salt intake a bit (but it wasn't high to start with, so that will depend on how much salt you eat normally), but also to soak a teaspoonful or two of flax seeds in water with half a date chopped up in it overnight every day, and then drink the resulting mixture each morning - looks weird but tastes fine - that did the trick. i had to experiment with the amount of flax seeds, but a heaped teaspoonful worked best for me. just to add, that i was on metformin that time for a year, and when i came off it, it took nearly six months for my system to get back to normal :wacky: .