Metformin. Its worse than the diabetes

gobbo

Hi to all fellow sufferers

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes in Dec 2011and since that time not only have I lost all faith in the service I recieve from my GP, but am appalled at the lack of empathy towards this condition. After being told I was diabetic, I was neither offered; dietry advice or blood sugar testing equipment, (being disabled and on a low income the cost of these test strips is prohibitive.) I have no idea what my blood sugar levels are. I was put on Metformin (2000mg per day) and Statins, the Statins were discontinued after two months because of developing muscle pains. I went back to the GP to discuss the problems I was having (weight loss - from 11stone down to nine stone in three months - and being only 5'6" I now look like a skeleton - and continuation of severe muscular pains in the arms and upper back and the inability to raise my arms above chest height.) My GP told me I needed to exercise more. Being mobility challenged I tried to explain the day to day difficulties I have with regards my mobility and was told to go swimming, his exact turn of phrase was; 'The last time I went swimming the pool was full of fatties puffing and blowing, they get more benefit from this type of exercise.' I was appalled at this remark and have not been back since, except to put in a repeat prescription for sack loads of Metformin.
Before beginning Metformin I was happy, healthy, fairly fit (given my mobility problem), had bags of energy and had a good appetite. Now I look like skeletors son, suffer terrible gas, have no appetite, ache from head to toe, and fall asleep faster than Homer Simpsons Father.
Diabetes didn't change my life, Metformin did. The side effects of this so called preventative medicine are horrific.
I am seriously considering discontinuing this medicine to try to get back to my old self, and **** the consequences.
Incidentally, If I hadn't gone to that Bl**DY male health check up for the over 50s I wouldn't have known. 'Ignorance is bliss' How true.
Any advice will be warmly received.

gobbo

berjbruks

So sad to hear your story. Try to seek for a second opinion. Try to tell your doctor what you feel about the medicine you're taking. Just tell them that you don't feel great with the medicine you're taking. I know I'm not in the position to tell you what to do because I really don't know more about diabetes but if you're not feeling good with the medicines you're taking you should go back to your doctor and tell him everything. You may also seek for a second opinion and ask the doctor if they can suggest a natural way to help you with your diabetes problem. I know there are natural ways to cure diabetes.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
berjbruks said:
So sad to hear your story. Try to seek for a second opinion. Try to tell your doctor what you feel about the medicine you're taking. Just tell them that you don't feel great with the medicine you're taking. I know I'm not in the position to tell you what to do because I really don't know more about diabetes but if you're not feeling good with the medicines you're taking you should go back to your doctor and tell him everything. You may also seek for a second opinion and ask the doctor if they can suggest a natural way to help you with your diabetes problem. I know there are natural ways to cure diabetes.

Hi, can you not use the word "cure" please as this gives false hope, there is no cure, I would prefer the word "control". To control diabetes is just as good as living a non-diabetic lifestyle.

Thanks

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Hi Gobo, and welcome to the forum, you do seem to have a very unsympathetic Doctor there I must say and Un-professional in his attitude. You can complain to the Practice manager if you feel you are not being treated correctly. Are you seeing a diabetes Nurse which is normally how most practices deal with diabetic patients. However it is generally a post code lottery in the level of care you will receive? they must treat you to the NICE guidelines at the very least. Eye test, foot care and Dietitian, plus regular check up's at first. I am on Metformin but have thrown the NHS diet sheet in the bin as I find it and many others on here useless for Diabetics and adequate control, but I am sure some of the more experienced forum users will be along to give you lots of pointers shortly. Below are side affect details for Metformin.

The most common metformin side effects included: Diarrhea – occurred in up to 53.2 percent of the sample; Nausea or vomiting – in up to 25.5 percent of the sample; Gas – in up to 12.1 percent of the sample; Weakness – in up to 9.2 percent of the sample; Indigestion – in up to 7.1 percent; Abdominal discomfort (or stomach discomfort) – in up to 6.4 percent; and, Headache — in up to 5.7 percent.
There is a very rare, but very serious side effect that can occur while taking metformin. The condition is called Lactic Acidosis. If you are having any of these symptoms: increased sleepiness or unexplained lethargy, weakness, decreased or slowed heart rate, cold sensations, stomach pains, or if you are feeling light headed or have fainted either before or after taking metformin you could be showing some of the symptoms of lactic acidosis. This is a dangerous syndrome and you should seek emergency medical help right away.

Unbeliever

How much metformin are you taking? Is it the ordinary metformin or the Sr version?

Your doctor should step up your metformin gradually and if you can't tolerate it well you should insist on the SR version - the side effects are much less for most people.

Having said that i does take quite some ime to acclimatise o meformin. As it seems to be working for you with the weight loss and is a cheap and overall quite safe drug your docor will want you to stay with it.

The weight loss will help with your insulin resistance and prevent you having o take sronger medications which have their own side effecs - mosty far more dangerous than metformin.

I know what you mean abou he effecss. I was on the verge of underweigh t when I was diagnosed . I had no weight o lose herefore and metformin has never had any effect on my blood sugar. I take it because of a family history of sroke and heartataks.

Additionally to the other side effects it affeced my speech and coordinaion and i felt i was walking at an angle and expected o fall all the ime.
My doctor didn't mention that there was another form of the drug and offered me more medicaion fo the effecs. Eventually I found ou about the SR and asked for it to be prescribed.
Like you I felt fine before aking it . It was a few years before I could tolerate it.

It is one of those drugs which are aken for their effec on your system - not o makee you feel better. if you lose weigh and your insulin resistance improves it has he potenial to make you feel beer but it always takes ime for your body to adjust to all these changes.
It must be more difficult for someone like yourself who has other problems with heir health.
Your doctor should be ashamed of himself. Isn't there someone else you can speak o about your diabetes?

It is worthwhile for most people to stick with the metformin, I know it is so much harder o accept when you feel OK beforehand and think a lot more could and should be done about eplaining it to patients.
Obviously your GP can't be bothered. I am sure he won't refuse the £2k a year he will receive for you as a diabetic.
Don't forget staggered increases to metformin and you need the slow release {SR] version.
if you were given the 2000 mg all at once hen I am not surprised you are ill. You should ask for this to be reduced so that your body can learn o adjust to a lower level before you take the next step.
You are not alone . Many of us have suffered hese effecs . They do die down evenually but the time it takes is different for everyone.

Reactions: ssboy30

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Unbeliever said:
How much metformin are you taking? Is it the ordinary metformin or the Sr version?

Your doctor should step up your metformin gradually and if you can't tolerate it well you should insist on the SR version - the side effects are much less for most people.

Having said that i does take quite some ime to acclimatise o meformin. As it seems to be working for you with the weight loss and is a cheap and overall quite safe drug your docor will want you to stay with it.

The weight loss will help with your insulin resistance and prevent you having o take sronger medications which have their own side effecs - mosty far more dangerous than metformin.

I know what you mean abou he effecss. I was on the verge of underweigh t when I was diagnosed . I had no weight o lose herefore and metformin has never had any effect on my blood sugar. I take it because of a family history of sroke and heartataks.

Additionally to the other side effects it affeced my speech and coordinaion and i felt i was walking at an angle and expected o fall all the ime.
My doctor didn't mention that there was another form of the drug and offered me more medicaion fo the effecs. Eventually I found ou about the SR and asked for it to be prescribed.
Like you I felt fine before aking it . It was a few years before I could tolerate it.

It is one of those drugs which are aken for their effec on your system - not o makee you feel better. if you lose weigh and your insulin resistance improves it has he potenial to make you feel beer but it always takes ime for your body to adjust to all these changes.
It must be more difficult for someone like yourself who has other problems with heir health.
Your doctor should be ashamed of himself. Isn't there someone else you can speak o about your diabetes?

It is worthwhile for most people to stick with the metformin, I know it is so much harder o accept when you feel OK beforehand and think a lot more could and should be done about eplaining it to patients.
Obviously your GP can't be bothered. I am sure he won't refuse the £2k a year he will receive for you as a diabetic.
Don't forget staggered increases to metformin and you need the slow release {SR] version.
if you were given the 2000 mg all at once hen I am not surprised you are ill. You should ask for this to be reduced so that your body can learn o adjust to a lower level before you take the next step.
You are not alone . Many of us have suffered hese effecs . They do die down evenually but the time it takes is different for everyone.
Unbeliever you really need a new Keyboard mate your "T's" are missing in most of what you type I noticed it the other day?

Reactions: ssboy30

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roy - Unbeliever has sight problems caused by her diabetes, from what I have read it is a miracle that she can actually see at all, so for the good information she contributes, I think we can overlook the missing letters and typos.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Gobbo, you are certainly going through a lot at the moment, I think you definitely need to talk to a doctor, if you are not happy with your current GP is there no other GP at the same surgery you could talk to?

Some of the symptoms you describe could be down to metformin and there is a slow release version available which many find better to tolerate and you could definitely ask your doctor for this.

If you can get to a chemist, most now offer to test blood sugars so you may be able to find your fasting/pre meal levels like that. High blood glucose can cause serious damage to your eyes, kidneys and cardio system, reduced blood flow to your legs being a prime example which can cause neuropathy pains in the legs and feet, so please dont stop your medication without talking to a doctor, diabetes is called the silent killer because you cant always feel the damage being dome by high blood sugar. So "**** the consequences" is a very bad route to take, please, please get medical advice.

The weight loss you mention sounds more to do with your diabetes than metformin, whilst metformin is an appetite suppressant it is unlikely that you would lose 2 stone in three months by metformin alone. It is possible that you have been misdiagnosed as aT2 diabetic when perhaps you may be a T1 or LADA (T1.5), there are tests available to show if you are T1 or not I would suggest you talk to a doctor to discuss the possibility of both changing your medication and testing for T1.

Good luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do insist on Metformin SR. They don't offer it at first as it's more expensive than the plain version. I agree that high weight loss around diagnosis can be the result of LADA (late onset Type 1) particuarly if you are young which can be mis-diagnosed as just Type 2. There are tests the GP can do to confirm if this is considered a possibility. So, I agree with Sid.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gobbo.... don't allow yourself to suffer on metformin. Goodness I was stupid enough to allow docs to trial me on every single dosage and type of metformin... along with other meds thrown in the mix. I felt terrible for years. Mind you I'm not fairing much better right now :lol: (although hardly funny... coz it's my oesophagus/stomach that is the problem). I remember the days prior to metformin when my stomach was normal... it's never been the same. I'm not sure whether that drug aggrivated something or what... but I don't remember it fondly.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
))Denise(( said:
Roy - Unbeliever has sight problems caused by her diabetes, from what I have read it is a miracle that she can actually see at all, so for the good information she contributes, I think we can overlook the missing letters and typos.
Pardon my Ignorance, I never thought of that? Please accept my Apologies unbeliever, I should have guessed my dear Mother in law has the same issues with Diabetes.

Unbeliever

Thanks Denise. I don't like to og on about it all the time.

No probs Roy. On a good day I can even go back and correct my typos but that varies. The worst part is the distortion which consantly changes. I can see something one minute biut not the next. The back light on the screen helps me read
n a REAKKY good day I go back and edit as many posts as I can .

I hope people continue to bear with me and that they get the gist at least :)

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
You crack on unbeliever, and take care of yourself, lets hope you have lots more of those good days.

Regards Roy.

mickyblueeyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and I read the message posted by Gobo yesterday with a great deal of sadness. I'm lucky that I was not put on medication when I was diagnosed with type 2 in February 2011. I am managing mine by diet; however, what I have done to help me in addition to the diet is drink a daily dose of Aloe Vera gel. This has worked for me because it’s given me the energy to be able to exercise as well and also it’s helped balance my immune system. All altogether it has generally helped me manage my diabetes.

Reactions: ButtercupPrincess

beadiest

hi gobbo,
sorry to read that you are having problems,it was the same here in 2010 with the metformin and statins i was terrible with aches and pains so i ditched the lot and went to a fairly strict diet regime and cleared myself out sort of a detox and since then have been fairly well so thats what i would do if i was you, also an indian lady gave me some advice that she uses herself (not for diabetes herself) but to give the immune system a boost she said take a quarter spoon of turmeric in liquid a day it did not disagree with me so i take it on a regular basis and i feel it helps, so give it a try good luck.

anne37

When l was diagnosed they treated me as type2 and started me on metformin 500 l had to take l for a week then build up to 2 for a week and so on until l was takiing 4 a day.they were agony on the sto
ach. I had lost 6 and a hAlf stone.phone call from doctor 6weeks later telling me l should have been on insulin from the start.they have kept
e on metformin too.are you aware they contain an appettite supressant.my doc also said to lose weigjht and exercise.er l lost 6 n half stone.

mrawfell

I no longer live in the UK, however all that means is I haven't got a standard GP ( and free health service ). I am T2 diagnosed about 18 months ago. I was put on Metformin, but couldn't get along with it. I have also seen it called Metfartin on this site. Weight loss not really. I had seen on this site people suggesting the slow release version and taken with your main meal. So that's where I am, and the side effects have stopped. Hopefully it may work for you. Alternative depending on your doctor, ( I can talk to mine ), there is also Vildaglitpin, I think it is called Sitagligliptin in the UK. This has none of the side effects of Metformin, and can lead to weight gain.
Good luck.