metformin not working!

clarkkl

Advice needed! I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes 2 weeks ago and have been on metformin for a week following a very strict diet due to the high blood sugars ie low carb and sugar intake. My metformin was increased to the full dose a couple of days ago with no affect. My diabetic midwife rang today for all my readings and said they were too high but will give me a few more days on the increased dose but more likely than not will have to go onto insulin. I really want to avoid it if it can be helped any advice from people going through the same thing .

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I will bump your post up to see if anyone can answer who has been in a similar situation.

paulanbubbs

hey.

not sure if you have moved forward on this but i am in a similar situation. i am type 2 controlled by metformin, however my blood sugars could not be controlled by metformin alone whilst pregnant. i was put onto insulin called Humulin I approx 4 weeks ago when 14 weeks pregnant. the dose started low and is increasing every few days. it really isn't anything to worry about, the nurses tell you what doses to do, there's no measuring your carbs and calculating like type 1 diabetics. good luck in your pg x

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
If the Metformin isn't working, then your diet and exercise routine need to be revised. I was on Metformin for nearly five years. When the sugar started creeping up, instead of increasing the dosage, trying a new drug, or submitting to insulin injections, I looked even harder for solutions. I found one... better diet, including more fruits and vegetables, and more exercise. I quit taking the Metformin on Dec. 13th and my blood sugar has averaged less than 90 mg/dl ever since. You might want to check out the diabetes info links under my profile.