Metformin problems after years of use

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I have been on Metformin for nearly six years 500g twice a day, I have never had any stomach problems related to it even in the beginning, but for the past two weeks I have had stomach cramps and bouts of runny tummy to the point where I have to run like the wind to get to the loo. I do have diverticulitis but this isn't the same as the symptoms I have with a flare up.

Nothing has changed in my diet but I have had a bit if stress in the last couple of months losing my mum and my mum in law within a few weeks of each other and a broken ankle

Is it possible to develop problems after so long being fine? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice
Ll

C

catherinecherub

Hi @lovinglife,

Sorry to hear about mum and mum in law. Coming to terms with two deaths plus a broken ankle is bound to cause stress. When we are stressed there is more adrenaline pumping around our bodies and this will speed up the digestive process.

I would try and do some relaxation techniques, easier said than done in your situation, but if it persists or you start to lose weight then I would see your G.P.

If the Metformin didn't give you any problems before then it seems unlikely that it is the cause.

((((hugs))))

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you on Metformn SR, the Slow Release version? If not it sounds like the extra stress with the normal version may have triggered a reaction? Do ask for the SR version if relevant.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may not be connected to the met, but you could try stopping taking it for a couple of days - it won't affect your blood glucose much (if at all) if it's such a short break.

And, did the problems start at the same time you started a new prescription?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's worth checking if you've been given a different brand - I had problems with one SR brand mainly continuous very bad nausea, which disappeared after my pharmacist changed me back to the original one.

But I've also had upset tums when I've been badly stressed too, so Metformin may not be the culprit.

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your help guys - sorry for not getting back to you earlier, Robbity you hit the nail on the head - it was staring me right in the face! :dead: Ii had a different brand. It has settled down now so everything's fine :)

Reactions: 3 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I had the same problem with a change of brand. Took me a week to suss out it was the tablets.

K

Kat100

Just wanted to say sorry for your loss ...and glad you have found the answer to your questions ...best wishes ...Kat

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I changed chemist as I was forever getting different brands and having to get used to it every time. The chemist I go to now always has the same brand.