Metformin problems.

Violetluis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had any serious side effects after taking Metformin for a number of years?
I have been taking it for at least ten years, together with insulin, and recently I had my potassium levels rising plus my lactactes. I have been taken off Metformin and am now waiting to see if that was the real cause and also waiting for results of my latest blood tests.
I am very worried about this as both potassium and lactactes are potentially life threatening issues.
Has anybody any experience on this? Any advice?
I am now managing my diabetes on diet and insulin only as I cannot exercise because I am disabled and constantly in pain. I would like to hear from anyone who has similar problems or can shed any light on problem. Thanks to all on this Forum, I have found it quite comforting to read about other diabetics, other problems, other circumstances

Queencat

Monitor what you eat and make a note of times when you get bad side effects. Eliminate the foods that cause your problems.
I have found I can't eat certain foods as they react badly with medication.
E.g. My dietician said I should have weetabix for breakfast as a change but it caused so many problems. I also have to be careful about pulses.