Metformin products status update In Australia

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 308541

Diabetes Australia has been actively monitoring the shortage in the supply of metformin extended/modified release medication on behalf of people with diabetes since April this year.

Article about the availability of Metformin here at Diabetes Queensland.

I have been prescribed the Metformin XR 500, I picked up all of my scripts yesterday from the pharmacy and the Metformin had a red tag on it. The ones I get are APO-METFORMIN XR 500, so I ended up with the full quick acting (?) version, so I hope I do not get the scours with them. :D

D

Deleted member 308541

Bumped out of the unanswered tread, so that more of the Australian members can see it if they have not read it. :D

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
do you hace to pay for drug presdcription in australia for diabeties i am 61 thanks

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Very strange I have to say. I would imagine the problem is only a temporary one.

D

Deleted member 308541

do you hace to pay for drug presdcription in australia for diabeties i am 61 thanks
Yes.
Although if you have a concession card and reach the safety net of 60 scripts at $6.30 each script then they are free for the rest of the year.

Very strange I have to say. I would imagine the problem is only a temporary one.
The Apo brand of Metformin XR which I am prescribed is still unavailable in Australia. I have had no ill effects from the normal quick acting one.

Reactions: PansyP

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Check the low carb forum. By cutting carbs from your diet you could actually reverse the need for metformin. Which would be ace.

D

Deleted member 308541

Check the low carb forum. By cutting carbs from your diet you could actually reverse the need for metformin. Which would be ace.
Been there and done that and got the t shirt. :meh:

Update of the Metformin XR supply, I posted about the availabilty of it here in the blogs.