Metformin reaction

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi started Metformin last Friday dose 1500 mg started with one tablet a day for a week.
I have terrible diarrhoea, abdo pains, indigestion worst I've ever had and nausea.
My pharmacist said to discontinue if diarrhoea started.
I am hoping to get a GP appointment tomorrow.
My BM's are ranging from 10-25
Grateful for any advice

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It should not do you any damage to stop the tablets to get some relief - they aren't a glucose lowering medication, and if you do react badly so swiftly then it probably will only get worse if you go on with them. My own experience was dreadful, with pains in my muscles and joints, and it was the worst couple of months I have had.
Your doctor might prescribe the same medication in a slow release form, or it you are really lucky will allow you to try low carb eating - most doctors are dead against it, but for the lucky ones it makes diabetes irrelevant.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started Metformin a got similar symptoms for around a week. I’m now on 3 x 500mg a day and tolerate it very well, no side effects at all

Reactions: dbr10

Toxicblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi this is my first day on metformin 500mg and what you say terrifies me if I get any of those symptoms I will stop taking them as before taking the tablets I felt fine no issues at all am trying to get my head around being diabetic.