Metformin side effect tinitus

simsar

I have just been diagnosed with type two diabetes and am currently taking metformin. I have been on this medication for about a month and have just developed tinitus in my ears, has anybody heard of a link between taking metformin and developing tinitus could this be a side effect of taking this drug?
I woulld very much like anybodies advice on this.

Many thanks

Smon

C

catherinecherub

Hi simsar,
Have never heard of this side effect before, there may be a forum member who has.
Are you taking any pain killers? Tinnitus has been reported when using ibuprofen aspirin etc.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Simon,

From the research I have done it appears that tinnitus is not a known side effect of metformin.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
tinnitus can have many causes but ive never heard of metformin doing it, i myself have tinnitus :?

Mog

Strange you should mention this. I have had my metformin dose increased in the past three months and I too am suffering from tinnitus. I am getting a low level hiss - a bit like white noise. I've never had it before.

A quick Google shows that others have had similar.

:D

Reactions: elekonsult

simsar

mog

Thanks for that reply I thought I was going mad, it just seemed very much a coincidence that I started to suffer from this after starting on metformin. I wonder if there is any offical link with it or whether it is something that has just been ignored, I will discuss this with my gp. I the mean time have opted to try acupuncture in an effort to treat the tinitus for I do go mad from not sleeping.

Thanks

Simon

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got tinnitis too! I never made the association with Metformin - but now that you mention it...

Keep us updated - especially if the Accupuncture works for you!

Reactions: elekonsult
C

catherinecherub

When you next pick up your prescription, ask the pharmacist for a yellow form. You can fill this in if you suspect that a prescribed medication is causing side effects not listed on the advice given.

simsar

Patch

The ringing is still there i just seem to be getting used to it. I am still having the accupuncture and waiting to see it it sorts the ringing out. I can say though that is seems to be makng me feel less stressed out at work and alot more relaxed, so hey if it does'nt stop the ringing it he helped with my stress levels from work. Will keep you updated should it stop the ringning

Simon

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Just checked BNF and there is no report of this as side effect but if there are those suffering it then you should report it on the yellow form as Catherinecherub said.

stockcar19

Had never thought of it until I read this post but i have been taking high levels of Metformin for months now and I have a numbness/tingling feeling in one ear which I had put down to the ageing process - but maybe not.Starting on Byetta soon and will be interesting to see if this feeling gets better then.

Pete

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Pete,

Have you had a look at the "Anyone use Byetta?" thread yet to see what you are letting yourself in for?!?

Dipstick

This could be high sugars causing the buzzing in your ears. Is it the same level all the time. I get this and when my sugars are higher than they should be the ringing is worse. Monitor it and see how you go. :roll:

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Hmmm, I'm not mad afterall.

I've had tinitus for sometime now but it got louder since starting on Metformin. I thought it was just a coincedence but maybe not.

simsar

I never suffered from this ringing until I went on Metformin. It is a constant ringing which thank god I seem to be getting used too having suffered numerous nights with no sleep. It does get louder every now and then. I will be discussing this with my nurse when I see her in two weeks time.

stockcar19

Dennis said:
Hi Pete,

Have you had a look at the "Anyone use Byetta?" thread yet to see what you are letting yourself in for?!?

Hi Dennis
Have been reading those posts with interest - very helpful advice on there.
Started on 5mcg Byetta yesterday,no nausea so far(keep fingers crossed) and have to say .having never had to inject myself before, it is as painless as they said it would be.
Will post again to let you know how it goes.
Regards
Pete

dt1000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very interesting, I too suffer from a low-level hiss type of tinnitus. I am on 500mg Metformin at breakfast,1000mg at lunch and 500mg at teatime as well as Gliclizide and Rosiglitazone.
I also take 5mg Simvastain.

I was also interested in reading of the connection with increased blood sugar level; although this doesn't appear to be the case with me, but I will monitor it more closely.

It doesn't keep me awake now, but it's b***** annoying.

Dave.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
dont know if it helps but i have tinnitus and a very low salt diet helps as advised by ent consultant :D worth a try

gilesrowe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just started taking Metformin and almost immediately, within a day or so, started getting Tinnitus. Loud whistle in head/both ears. Very disturbing, keeps me awake at night as it is so loud.