1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin substitute

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Luf, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Shoelace1973

Shoelace1973 Type 2 · Active Member

Thank you for posting this - Iam currently in the exact same position with problems with muscles in my legs. Nurse & Dr saying it's nothing to do with Metformin! Especially having probs with backside muscles.

2. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's way monitoring of kidney function is important along with drinking lots of water. Maybe will know how much of a problem it is in 5 years time when long term effects can be seen.

3. Providence 62

Providence 62 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Luf I had a miserable time of it on metformin. Even 500mg a day gave me such an upset stomach. Doctor took me off it and put me on canagliflozin and eventually added in Glicazide. Was a bit worried about putting on weight, but so far so good. There are alternatives, trust me, I have been there. I had a mental map of everywhere I went and where the loos were located. I also carried a ton of Loperamide around with me. Been off it about 9 months and haven't looked back. Blood glucose is getting better too.

4. Drummermum

Drummermum Type 1 · Member

I was put on Metformin SR as I have IBS, however it really didn't agree with me and made the IBS worse. I follow a LCHF diet but just need something to keep a top of my levels. My Dr has put me on 2.5mg of Saxagliptin which seems to have a much kinder affect on my tum!
    Definitely worth chatting to your GP about.

5. hooha

hooha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi look up David Mendosa , [great writer on diabetes, sadly recently deceased but lives on in the web... METFORMIN FOR EVER....] He explains that to start METFORMIN with less tummy and side effects, do it slowly. ie. take only about a quarter of the advised dose for a week then a bit more the next few days etc. look him up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This supplement seems to offer a similar profile to Metformin. I have no experience of it, and it is single sourced from only one company as far as I can see. It is also expensive, and it seems one needs about 1 gram per dose( (1000mg)

Have not seen any studies on side effects or safety, so take care.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566447/
    I am not endorsing this product, but they seem to have been marketing it for over 1 year now.

7. Lil'Edgy

Lil'Edgy Type 2 · Member

I read that Berberine is as effective as Metformin. I have no problems whatsoever with Metformin but if I had to choose, I'd go with Berberine in pill or capsule form. I have tried Berberine powder because it's cheaper but it tastes like poison and the poison taste lingers for a long time. Good luck.

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Avoiding medication helps me to stick to the low carb diet and I have normal Hba1c now - so I hope that just the thought of Metformin will enable me to deny all temptation.

9. pollensa

pollensa Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

yes Natural product Berberine,and Grapefruit research in California has proved it does more or less the same as Metformin, by he way did you know Metformin initially was for Malaria...

10. fikileM57

fikileM57 Type 2 · Member

Metformin always gave me diarrhoea, so a friend of mine told me about baking soda, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. After taking metformin i would wait for 30min then put 1 tsp avc plus 1tsp lemon and a pinch of baking soda in a glass of warm water and drink..
    Please look it up, it used to help me a lot

11. sarah_chadwick

sarah_chadwick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have done the same by eating low carb, now down to 37 :)

12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

How did you get on @Luf ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook