Metformin

SueSews

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
help please.
Been on Metformin for type 2 diabetes for 10 weeks. Take one tablet twice daily.
Noticed have terrible mood swings, and feelings of anger. Not like me at all.
Is this a reaction to being diabetic, or is it the medication.
Desperate .....

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
help please.
Been on Metformin for type 2 diabetes for 10 weeks. Take one tablet twice daily.
Desperate .....

welcome SueSews :)
I´ll tag @daisy so you can get information that is for all newcomers here

are your blood glucose going down rapidy, maybe then that could be the cause... it is a big change for your body then.
or maybe you are reacting to the shock of getting diabetes which is indeed a major chrisis in ones life..
I don´t know that metformin can cause that big change in mood but maybe it can .

Last edited:

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depression and mood swings are documented uncommon side effects of metformin but these could also arise from fluctuating glucose levels.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those side effects are rare with Metformin but we are all different.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
help please.
Desperate .....

Hi SueSews,
Been on Metformin for some months now, first as pre-diabetic and now as type 2. I did have some problems with it at first with bowel issues which apparently is common, so now on slow release version - much better.
I've never heard of it causing mood swings or anger, but it could be due to the shock of becoming diabetic, I've been very moody and snapping at everyone too but I know that's because I'm not dealing with things 100%, deep down, despite thinking I was doing ok with every thing. I know that because I become snappy when anxious, depressed and not coping. Don't mean to give you more to worry but it's worth a thought.
Take care.
Maggie/Magpie

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
welcome SueSews :)
I´ll tag @daisy so you can get information that is for all newcomers here

are your blood glucose going down rapidy, maybe then that could be the cause... it is a big change for your body then.
or maybe you are reacting to the shock of getting diabetes which is indeed a major chrisis in ones life..
I don´t know that metformin can cause that big change in mood but maybe it can .
I was diagnosed type 2 last year and I was very snappy and depressed nurse said it was withdrawal symptoms of not having sugar in my diet I'm normally very easy going but I turned into a monster would argue over the smallest things it's settled now been put on metformin past month but not experienced any mood swings taking it only side effect I'm getting at moment is really bad joint pains