Metformin

DebTompkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone concerned of lactic acidosis while taken Metformin? I’m a little worried. I’m currently on 1000 mg daily (500 mg twice. I’m exercise at least once a daily....because exercise increases lactic acid it this going to put me at higher risk? I’m 42 female.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had to check what lactic acidosis was so I found this...

"The symptoms of lactic acidosis include abdominal or stomach discomfort; decreased appetite; diarrhea; fast, shallow breathing; a general feeling of discomfort; muscle pain or cramping; and unusual sleepiness, tiredness, or weakness. If you have any symptoms of lactic acidosis, get emergency medical help right away."

So @DebTompkins. See your gp in the morning if you feel a&e is not doable.
If concerned tonight and in uk call 111.

Let us know how you get on.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Keeping hydrated seems the key to preventing this with metformin. Especially if metformin has been giving upset tummy.
Please read the leaflet which comes with metformin before starting this med.

Any drug can cause a problem. Be alert to that, please.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Lactic acidosis is rare. If you have heart or renal dysfunction please contact a health care provider as a matter of urgency.

Reactions: ickihun

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Every drug, even things like asprin, can have serious side effects for some people. It is not worth worrying about the rare ones. Make sure you know what the symptoms are and then carry on with your life. Metformin is one of the most prescribed drugs in the world and is very safe. If you are still worried, or have symptoms, speak to your doctor. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: ickihun

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how can you tell i have most of those symptoms normally.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
how can you tell i have most of those symptoms normally.
What, before taking metformin? Was your gp aware?
It is very very rare but metformin is the most common cause.
Keep alert about pain. With pain you should see a gp.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I looked at the risk of lactic acidosis and decided that as I have good liver and kidney function, the risks of crossing the road to pick up the prescription was of more concern to me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I looked at the risk of lactic acidosis and decided that as I have good liver and kidney function, the risks of crossing the road to pick up the prescription was of more concern to me.
Well I've been on it soooo long. Before diabetes diagnosis. I'm very careful not to get dehydrated. For all my meds. Kidneys need all the help they can get.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The risk of low B12 levels due to metformin is of concern to me, so I will ask for a B12 test with my next set of bloods.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that one reason for Metformin and statins being considered safe, is that if you get side effects which make your life a total misery and refuse to take them, the clinic nurse just makes an alteration to your repeat prescription but no other change to your notes, - or at least that was my experience. I reported all my problems, and thought that was an end to it, but no, a couple of weeks later I was called in to see a doctor I had not met before and advised that I should take the tablets again.

Ilovecake

Is anyone concerned of lactic acidosis while taken Metformin? I’m a little worried. I’m currently on 1000 mg daily (500 mg twice. I’m exercise at least once a daily....because exercise increases lactic acid it this going to put me at higher risk? I’m 42 female.
Hello,
My husband is T2 and two years ago on Boxing Day he ended up in ICU with lactic acidosis, sepsis and pneumonia, we had sat in A&E after phoning 111 for 50mins it was when I went to the desk and said I think my husband is dying that anyone bothered! He was taken straight to resuscitation room then ICU where he was for 5 days not knowing if he would survive.
They stopped his metformin and put him on alternative, however he is back on metformin and has had his dose upped to 2,000mg a day since March. I have just had a sleepless night due to my husband the runs all night. He has a mental illness and doesn't want a fuss. Sad thing is he had diabetes before and cured himself through exercise and diet, no medication at all, the mental illness is a real barrier to his physical health but I'm taking him to the Drs the metformin is definitely hindering his quality of life, and mine!

Just be mindful of how you feel my husband's case came on very quickly and symptoms met sepsis symptoms too. Keep up the exercise.