Mio cannula set and DKA

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Has anyone experienced problems with this cannula set? I love the application unit and the best thing is how the plastic bit fully covers the tube at the point of insertion, but I've been admitted to hospital twice with DKA since starting on the set.

For 3 years I used the Silhouette, but didn't like the way the site got all red and sore, so switched to the Mio. The site never gets sore, or inflamed, but I have been to A&E twice now with DKA. First time it was due to a kink in the cannula. Second time it appears really difficult to find a reason. Just canvassing opinion really, as the doctors didn't seem to have much in the way of leads.

Thanks for reading.
Sam.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I thought I'd answer to bump up your post.
I looked at the FDA site for adverse effects. There don't seem to be any more than other sets and only 2 reported this year(if you tell Medtronic they have to make a report about it)
Reports from individuals show both good and bad results. Some people who didn't get on with them seem to have got on better with the sure T.

I like the silhouettes but the marks take a while to go. It doesn't normally matter but I'm conscious of them in a swimming costume as I use my upper thighs. (even though I'm not young and only my OH and the family will see it when they come here on holiday)

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Has anyone experienced problems with this cannula set? I love the application unit and the best thing is how the plastic bit fully covers the tube at the point of insertion, but I've been admitted to hospital twice with DKA since starting on the set.

For 3 years I used the Silhouette, but didn't like the way the site got all red and sore, so switched to the Mio. The site never gets sore, or inflamed, but I have been to A&E twice now with DKA. First time it was due to a kink in the cannula. Second time it appears really difficult to find a reason. Just canvassing opinion really, as the doctors didn't seem to have much in the way of leads.

Thanks for reading.
Sam.

Hi Sam, I have been using these infusion sets since being on my pump and have only come across a problem once, when the set did not pierce my skin fully causing the plastic insertion to bend on my skin and therefore not getting any insulin. Not realising this until my BG levels rocketed and I had high ketones. I changed the set immediately and never had problems since this time. These infusion sets are usually pretty good. Hope you have better luck with these sets.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks,
I'll have to look at the FDA site myself. Sounds interesting.

My concern with the silhouette was potential for lasting damage as the sites tended to get hard and swollen as well as discoloured. Might try the other one you mentioned.

Thanks again :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sam, I use the mio (almost 2 years now) and luckily I never had a problem. I never tried the silhouette, but when I started with the pump I used a different infusion set (I don't remember the name) which I decided to change. I also use a cgm so should the mio not work properly I would realise immediately. Stefano

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sam I had this problem 3 times with the mio, kinked cannula's and not going into my skin properly, never heard of anyone else having this problem before so thought maybe I have elephant skin lol my bg being 29.5 was the final straw so changed to Sure-T and not had any probs (touch wood) I like them loads better too as they barely leave a mark on your skin where I found using the mio left a mark for quite a while x

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Mrsass - I'll try the Sure-T. I think I used that one when I first started pumping but moved off it due to not being able to control my levels. Looking back, that was probably general start up problems so will definitely give it another go.

Glad I'm not the only one to suffer with the Mio.

Sam.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't used the Mio but a couple of cannula fails wouldn't be unusual with any set. Have you considered user error rather than set error? A kinked cannula can happen to any of us with teflon sets, especially if not fired perfectly or inserted near scar tissue or muscle etc. The other time you might just have hit a bad site, which again can happen to any of us. If the MIo is comfy don't give up on it too fast. I had way more set fails than that until I mastered my sets.

To avoid DKA are you making sure you test your BG 1-2 hours after cannula change? If my set fails I catch it before I get over 15 and if I am that high I give an injection to bring BG down before changing set. I also make sure my BG is good just before changing cannula. There are loads of tips on here about making sure you avoid DKA even with cannula fails. Good luck :)

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks MPB - some useful tips there. Having looked more at the cannulas available from Medtronic, I still don't see a more suitable one for me than the Mio, so better management of sets and set changes it is.

Also, after this episode in hospital, the diabetes team gave me a blood ketone meter - so I can catch that early too, rather than relying on urine sticks.

Reactions: 5 people