Mio

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really struggling with the mio insertion. Woke up to bg 24.2 @ 7.30am. Checked infusion, that wasn't in properly. Had to inject 4 units of novorapid. It came down to 13.5 @ 9.40. Now it's gone up to 14 @ 10.40. Just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Lorraine1973 I used to use the mio's and had this trouble a few times, you can't see if the set has been inserted properly, so a few had slipped out and weren't infusing insulin at all, so for me I had this happen a few times and decided to switch to the sure t's which you have to manually insert the steel tip, not painful, and the success rate compared to the mio is much higher - I haven't had any incorrectly inserted sets since i've been using them (1 year now), call your DSN to report this issue and ask to change it over, just because you've been given the Mio doesn't mean it's the right set for you, I think that's just the standard hand out with the pump so it's ok to change it.

Reactions: Lorraine1973

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mios were hopeless in my daughter..constantly kinking . Could kink 4x in a day. Now on sure t and much better. You change more often but at least i know she has a working line in school

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you juicyj my dn has now put me on the minimed quick set. A lot less faff. Sugars have come down and so have ketones.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Brilliant, far more sensible, I couldn't tolerate the plastic on the mios, I ended up having very sore sites from the infusion set, sure t is much easier to manage.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep agree with you there. My tummy looks like an old pin cushion now and it's a little sore x

IanRA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Really struggling with the mio insertion. Woke up to bg 24.2 @ 7.30am. Checked infusion, that wasn't in properly. Had to inject 4 units of novorapid. It came down to 13.5 @ 9.40. Now it's gone up to 14 @ 10.40. Just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Hi, the Mio is a good device if it properly loaded. One of the issues is when you set the trigger, you must ensure BOTH plastic tabs that hold the trigger in place are engaged. If not, when you release, the needle will be at an angle (assymetric). This causes the needle to bounce off the skin. When you withdraw the needle the catheter is kinked on top of the skin, and not entered into the skin. Hence, the insulin will not be into the body but onto the body. So, each time you load the Mio ensure both plastic tabs are engaged on the trigger mechanism. Then you will be fine. Given Medtronics are well aware of this issue, one would have thought they would include this advice in their instructions, but in spite of telling them about this they are still to act. I have now brought this matter to the attention of our National Diabetic authority in Australia. Hopefully something will happen soon. I went back to using the Silhouette which inserts manually and has never caused me an issue. But of course, if you are squeemish about inserting a needle, the Mio may be for you (providing you use it appropriately).

Attachments

• Mio Issues.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Mio Issues.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Mio Issues.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 161