Miracle Dan

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Divine or Miracle Dan has just now been renamed simply as Lab Rat..........!

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Off to Boots to get some Vitamin C and D

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No, I don't know him, but I've read similar stories before and, apart from the obvious possibility of misdiagnosis, when I've re googled the person's name later they've all ended up back on insulin - ie were just lucky enough to have a long honeymoon or slow developing Type 1.

There's also the possibility he has a a rarer form of diabetes. Perhaps that's why he's going to the US? I don't understand why tests couldn't be done in the UK.

M

ME_Valentijn

I'd guess misdiagnosis. A lot of doctors seem to assume that if someone's in the hospital at diagnosis, it must be serious, therefore Type 1. Or normal weight, therefore Type 1. Somehow I doubt he's got low C-peptide and/or auto-antibody results from diagnosis - probably just needed insulin at first, and it wasn't stopped.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Whoah, way too risky for him to fly to USA for tests...there'll be big pharma, eccentric T1D billionaires and NSA all wanting to check out that pancreas just in case...I'm betting there'll be a brief report in a small town USA newspaper in a months time about a confused Northhampton man waking up in a bath full of ice in a seedy motel in Arizona with a badly stitched surgical wound on his back...

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for him, what a lucky guy, but having said that journalism like this actually really annoys me. I am very fit, do long distance runs 3 to 5 times a week, half marathons, marathons, weight training. Yet somebody at work mentioned to me (what I assume was) this article and said "oh by the way did you know you can reverse your diabetes by exercising and being a bit more active, I actually read a story about a man with type 1 who improved his fitness and no longer needs insulin". Cue me trying to explain the reality and "if only it was that easy".

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Good for him, what a lucky guy, but having said that journalism like this actually really annoys me. I am very fit, do long distance runs 3 to 5 times a week, half marathons, marathons, weight training. Yet somebody at work mentioned to me (what I assume was) this article and said "oh by the way did you know you can reverse your diabetes by exercising and being a bit more active, I actually read a story about a man with type 1 who improved his fitness and no longer needs insulin". Cue me trying to explain the reality and "if only it was that easy".

But have you been taking your vitamin C and D?;)

As mentioned by others I suspect if there is any truth to the story it is likely he was originally misdiagnosed. It's always possible that his body has done something unique but extremely unlikely.

If it was a case of taking vitamin C and D and combining with plenty of exercise I am sure this community would be shouting it from the rooftops as opposed to generally promoting a low carb approach. It suggests to me a real lack of understanding of type 1 to think that the answer may be to pop a couple of vitamin pills combined with exercise.

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And to think I've been injecting myself for years now, how thick am I!?

Was in Holland & Barrett's yesterday and only left with Apple Cider Vinegar tablets. If only I'd known about the miracle vitamin fix, I could have cured myself yesterday:)

Joking aside though, and apart from the fact that I think he was misdiagnosed - I wish Dan all the best. What a weight off his shoulders, and hopefully a permanent one!

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If he is 'cured' and continues to be, good to luck to him, it may of been a very rare occurrence. I wish him all the best, with a long diabetes free life.
Edited to say, I do a lot of exercise, especially walking, 2 hours yesterday afternoon up a steep hill and around the top, then 2 1/2 hours this morning out and about, after 27 years, I am still type 1 though :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Miracle Dan is in fact Silent Dan - for now. Would love to hear an interview with him. If vitamin D could cure T1D, then all you'd have to do is spend a summer outside and voilá. However, vit D deficiency can cause T1D in some, especially the finnish population (children) have been studied.

If this is indeed true, then I don't buy into "not doing anything at all". I don't believe that megadosing vitamins could cure anybody, but I believe that using that with a combination of EVERYTHING (diet, exercise, vitamins, dealing with childhood traumas etc.) may have very positive effects on certain individuals, even remission. So what's Dan's secret?