Miracle or fluke?

Care66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son has had T1 for 13 years, being diagnosed at age 10. He eventually went on an insulin pump when he was 11 or so but now was on lantus and novalog injections. He recently began having dangerous lows. Ended up in ED after dropping to 35 while at work, going unconscious and having a seizure. He's an EMT.

Flash forward a few weeks. He's since been cleared by a dr and sees an endo next Monday. They were amazed at his A1C level being so good.

He has been continuing to drop low all this week. He's scaled back his lantus and insulin to carb ratio and was still dropping low. For the past 48 hours he's taken no novalog and he's been eating carbs as an experiment as any amount of novalog was dropping him low. Blood sugar dropped to 42 after no insulin. Tonight he's going to skip his lantus. We'll see what happens.

I started doing some research and found out about the fast mimicking diet. My son was not on this diet but did have periods of time when he was eating reduced calories. Not sure but wondering if something happened to regenerate his pancreas like the research work showed...

He sees an endo next Monday so we'll see what the endo thinks, but something curious is happening...seems clear his body is producing insulin again on its own...after 13 years of being dependent on insulin...

Will update this post as more unfolds...

Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before you start thinking its a miricle you better see the endo and get a cpeptide test to see whether your son has any endogenous insulin production.

It's probably a good idea to get conditions that can cause hypo glycaemia, like addisons (which being another auto immune disease a type 1 diabetic is more at risk for) tested for and ruled out.