Missed dose

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
finger pricking and maths at every meal
This might sound ridiculous but tonight I forgot I was diabetic.

I've had a really long day on very little sleep. Travelled from Birmingham to London and back.

When I got back to brum I was starving and popped in for a KFC. I'd had very little to eat all day so wolfed it down, got on my bus home and had a nap.

It wasn't until I got home I realised I should have taken my Apidra fast acting insulin. You can take apidra upto 15 mins after starting your meal - so I'm not always militant about injecting first. I've also only had insulin a month. I feel like a right pleb.

Levels are 17 now!!!
Should I just have a dose now or leave it to work it's way out with the Basal insulin?

All advice welcome.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mynameiskez

You should probably take your Apidra dose to bring your levels back down into range. Your basal insulin should not be working on food if it is set correctly, but just keep your background levels steady between meals and overnight.

Reactions: Mynameiskez

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
finger pricking and maths at every meal
Hi @Mynameiskez

You should probably take your Apidra dose to bring your levels back down into range. Your basal insulin should not be working on food if it is set correctly, but just keep your background levels steady between meals and overnight.
Thank you. I was worried as about an hour has passed now!

Appreciated

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might sound ridiculous but tonight I forgot I was diabetic.

I've had a really long day on very little sleep. Travelled from Birmingham to London and back.

When I got back to brum I was starving and popped in for a KFC. I'd had very little to eat all day so wolfed it down, got on my bus home and had a nap.

It wasn't until I got home I realised I should have taken my Apidra fast acting insulin. You can take apidra upto 15 mins after starting your meal - so I'm not always militant about injecting first. I've also only had insulin a month. I feel like a right pleb.

Levels are 17 now!!!
Should I just have a dose now or leave it to work it's way out with the Basal insulin?

All advice welcome.

Definitely don't go off to bed with 17 but careful not to overdo it and wake up at 4am with a hypo. We all make mistakes. Try to correct safely :)

Reactions: Mynameiskez