mixing alcohol with metformin and glipizide

valens_Shadow

Hi I have diabetes 2 taking three metformin tablets per day and for the last month taking one glipizide for the last month soon will be taking two tablets daily soon. I was wondering what alcohol I can take as I can't get in to speak to my doctor until early January. Can I have a couple of pints of beer?

James123a

Re: mixing alcohol with metformin and glipicide

Well I've just been put in Metformin and been advised not to mix with alchohol....but others here may be able to advise you better.

Grazer

Metformin and alcohol is fine, but don't know about your other meds so better wait for other replies

valens_Shadow

just wanted to share that the diabetic nurse said it was okay for me to have a couple of drinks but not go mad. Maybe this will be useful for someone else?

Angeleyes

Small amounts of alcohol should not be a problem for most people taking metformin. However, because other medical conditions may also increase your risk of lactic acidosis (including kidney or liver problems), there may be some situations where avoiding alcohol entirely might be a good idea.

No one on here should tell you that alcohol and drugs are fine. They don't know you so the advice should be couched in terms that it is Ok for them but only you will know if it is safe for YOU to do so.

Never take advice from non medical people regarding mixing drugs and alcohol. That could be fraught with danger. What they can do and what you might be able to do are two different things. Hence the warning in the quote I gave above.

It's good that you discussed it with your HCP who is a person who knows your medical history and what other drugs you may be taking, other conditions you may have. That is always the best way. There are people who seem to think that alcohol can also be used to great effect in helping control THEIR blood sugar levels, that may well be so, but don't take it that that means everybody can!

Here is a useful link about metformin and alcohol from a reputable medical based source:

[Metformin and Alcohol

Same goes for glipizide.
Avoid drinking alcohol while takuing glipizide. It lowers blood sugar and may interfere with your diabetes treatment.

Source: [Glipizide]

This a more specific link:
[Glipizide and Alcohol]

Unbeliever

I quite agree wih your ords of caution Angeleyes. The most anyone can say is that they drink while taking medication and that SO FAR it has not had any adverse effects.

ILest anyone think I am one of the ani-alcohol brigade - far from it. I was only ever the occasional social drinker but when put on medicaion for diabetes I actually could,t stomach even the smallest drink for a couple of years.
Now I can. And do. Not very often and not to excesss but everything else being eual I am prepared to take the risk - whatever that may be.

I don't believe that anyone knows . The nurse has no right to tell people that its OK to drink. She could asay it is not recommended or advisable .

It is a little like the medical establishment not wanting to endorse a lowcarb diet but endorsing a high carb one instead.

I wonder if this is a dibees nurse or just the pracice nurse wearing diabetic cap?

They are a positive menace. They should point out the possible risks and leave the individual to work out for his'herself if they are prepared to take that risk.

Most doctors seem able o admit when they don't know the answer wihout fear of losing the patient's confidence. Many of these nurses seem incapable of doing the same. It is irresponsible.

As for knowing the patient's medical history and other condiions- well it may be AVAILABLE to them bu do they actually bother ?

It all sounds like never-never land to me or some sort of medical utopia. Just do as Nursie says and all will be well!
Living is a risky business- I wouldnt let the nurse take my decisions for me. Ask questios if you will but be aware that "They" do not necessarily have the answers. Or at least he correct answers.
Probably because there IS no one size fits all answer.

viv1969

Whoa Angeleyes....Firstly drugs are not mentioned in the opening post, nor has anyone else bought them up. Secondly, everyone here with long term experience of having a drink when taking Metformin is entitled to express thier experiences in doing so. Thirdly, the only person who has made mention in this thread of BG control via the use of alcohol is YOU.

You appear to have very strong views on the subjects you mentioned, however might I suggest that you get a grip and express those views on posts which are actually on those subjects?

Angeleyes

I quite agree unbeliever (apt name :lol: ).

I have partaken of meds and alcohol but it was MY decision and not something that was ever decided for me. I am a firm believer in giving the relevant information and let the individual decide for themselves too. I certainly wouldn't be telling anybody what they can or cannot do. Leave yourself wide open to criticism if you do.

Cheers :)

Angeleyes

viv1969 said:
Whoa Angeleyes....Firstly drugs are not mentioned in the opening post, nor has anyone else bought them up. Secondly, everyone here with long term experience of having a drink when taking Metformin is entitled to express thier experiences in doing so. Thirdly, the only person who has made mention in this thread of BG control via the use of alcohol is YOU.

You appear to have very strong views on the subjects you mentioned, however might I suggest that you get a grip and express those views on posts which are actually on those subjects?

viv1969
What is the heading of this thread?
Mixing alcohol with metformin and glipicide

Metformin and Gliplizide are drugs as far as I am aware, or even medication. Same thing, prescription drugs I believe. :roll:

I don't have strong views about anything in particular other than answering the points raised in this thread to the best of my ability. You are welcome to your opinion but I can't really see what point you are trying to make, sorry!

Please read the posts, especially this one.

Hi I have diabetes 2 taking three metformin tablets per day and for the last month taking one glipicide for the last month soon will be taking two tablets daily soon. I was wondering what alcohol I can take as I can't get in to speak to my doctor until early January. Can I have a couple of pints of beer?

viv1969

Angeleyes said:
There are people who seem to think that alcohol can also be used to great effect in helping control THEIR blood sugar levels, that may well be so, but don't take it that that means everybody can!

My point was that this was mentioned only by you.
The OP was wondering if it was still ok to have a drink or 2....not about BG control by use of alcohol.

Other posters replied that in thier experience, they have come across no problems.

Angeleyes

viv1969 said:
Angeleyes said:
There are people who seem to think that alcohol can also be used to great effect in helping control THEIR blood sugar levels, that may well be so, but don't take it that that means everybody can!

My point was that this was mentioned only by you.
The OP was wondering if it was still ok to have a drink or 2....not about BG control by use of alcohol.

Other posters replied that in thier experience, they have come across no problems.

viv1969
It was a remark made in passing, a simple comment, an opinion, some advice to the OP. What is so wrong with that? It is alcohol related and surely that is what the OP was asking about even if he/she didn't mention red wine.

Is this subject taboo because some people here use red wine as an adjunct to their diabetes control. I drink red wine myself, no problem there? My post was trying to be helpful.

Now I realise it's possibly not your view but please don't label me when you know nothing about me.

You have given your opinion now before we both get hauled over the coals for derailing a thread can we please move on and leave the Op to the thread. Either that or start a new thread somewhere we can discuss things, I don't mind that at all or pm me with your concerns. I am sure we can sort things out. :?

Unbeliever

Certainly any diabetic is enitled to speak of his /'her personal experience or even opinions .
Too often . I find, the nurses just speak off the top of their heads, Their advice is not normally recorded and they are not accountable . Its a power thing ,. power without responsibility. Not good.

benedict

Administrator
The forum can give a guide on what other people do but for specific advice on your medication regime, always consult your medical team, who will know your medical history as well as the full list of medication you take.

Grazer

Unbeliever said:
Certainly any diabetic is enitled to speak of his /'her personal experience or even opinions .
Too often . I find, the nurses just speak off the top of their heads, Their advice is not normally recorded and they are not accountable . Its a power thing ,. power without responsibility. Not good.

Quite agree unbeliever. The whole POINT of this forum is to give opinions/experiences/advice, whether it be about food/alcohol or whatever. It's up to individuals if they choose to take it. If we ignored the advice on here and just listened to the doctors and HCPs regarding food, we'd all end up with BGs in the teens and heading for disaster. As Benedict says, we need to listen to our doctors regarding medication regimes, but even then many on this site have decided against medical advice on certain drugs and manage their diabetes well despite that (or arguably, as you would say, because of that! :lol: )

Unbeliever

I would cerainly agree with Bendict. In fact I hink hat point should be writen in bold type at the op pf every page - or something to the effect that none of the opinions expressed are to be taken as medical advice or accepted as correct.

Of course the danger is , that readers will just "dip -in " and not read theough the whole thread , just taking one post in isolation - but that is the case with everything.

One of the most disturbing things I find with the diabees clinics is that , unlike a GP consultation the Nurses seem never to have read my medical history. They generally know what medication I am taking but are unaware of my complications so that I have to remind them every 3 months .

I think the answer might be technophobia . Any advice given is therefore based on an incomplete picture. Much of it appears to be off-the -cuff and is not recorded. In my particular case it is worrrying as none of the Gps in my practice will speak to patients about diabetes.referring it all to the nurse.

That means that the Nurse can deny giving he information . This is less likely to happen with the doctor as the consultation is generallly more specific.
I find this quite worrying,. I have been given incorrect information on a few occasions. Fortunately
I checked it so that no damage was done. What of those who didn't or couldn't?

I am sure that here are many nurses more capable than GPs in he management of chronic conditions.
But what of the others? Are there sufficient safeguards in place for patients?

I believe that each GP Practice should have a doctor at least, supervising he mangement of these nurse-led clinics,

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread!