pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. You say you seldom touch bread, cereal, pasta, rice etc then may I ask what do you usually eat? What's your diet and what food gives you enough energy to last your day?
I have been thinking of cutting down all these high carb food completely but have been thinking what to eat to get enough energy. Please share. Thanks.

Hi. I mentioned those foods specifically because they are the ones that I did eat regularly and were the main culprits for really pushing my blood sugar up dramatically. I had read that high carbs were an issue but only really took it in when I saw my meter readings after eating them. Loving toast, croissants and cereal made me think I would never manage to do without them. I mean. what else can you have for breakfast...I thought. I started looking at labels to identify foods that were high in carbs rather than just those with sugar and that's when things started to work for me...quickly. I had no idea that some cereals were over 80% carbohydrate because I had never looked before. In fact, most have as much nutritional value as cardboard - but they tend not to advertise that Special feature. To be honest, when I realised that carbohydrates effectively change to sugar in the blood and that most of what I was eating was less than healthy for me and was certainly unnecessary, I applied the same approach I had used to stopping smoking - just stop giving my money to huge companies processing rubbish that I don't need but which can harm my health. The money I wasn't spending on ciggies each month paid for a new car and helped me feel better. The question was..with food...you still need to eat..so what to eat? I didn't have to think about weight as it has never been an issue for me..but I hear from others than its the carbs that cause weight gain too...not the fat! I found breakfast the hardest but found slices of smoked cheese (0 carbs) and dried slices of bacon (0 carbs) tastes pretty good...so they joined coffee as my main start to the day...but that's only because I don't cook (being lazy and hopeless)..otherwise (or if my wife is around) breakfast can easily be bacon, eggs, mushrooms, black pudding....omelette, boiled egg....just not all at once. Then I found Lidl protein rolls ! Low carb...really tasty...cheap...freezable...brilliant. I also eat - beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fish (none of it battered), cauliflower, broccoli, leaf salad, asparagus, etc etc. It's good to keep the right kind of fats up....so avocados are great, oily fish, tuna (wee John West tins of tuna have various flavourings - all low carb and tasty). Most cheese is fine...low carb nuts...90% Cocoa chocolate (Lindt). There is loads of stuff. Of course, you should check what works for you with your meter but most of not all of the above are pretty standard low carb foods. My diet is waaaay healthier. My blood sugars are much more settled, my doctors are happy (I see renal doctors regularly post transplant due to inherited kidney disease..and all of them are happy with my diet and my progress). Anyway..it's a lot to digest (particularly if you eat it all at once - sorry). Good luck..and remember to keep checking levels (particularly at first) to ensure you don't drop too low if you are eating a lot less carbs.

gj256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had an interesting reading last night and this morning.

BG reading before dinner - 6.2
Finished dinner by 21:45 - had grilled salmon and steamed broccoli ( this is the best I can do for low carb meal :)
BG reading just before going to bed at 23:30 - 7.3
All looked good so far and obviously ate nothing after dinner.
Expected fasting BG reading in morning to be definitely below 7 but it turned out to be 8.0

So looks like it was a dawn syndrome case this morning. Not really sure what to do in this case. Any advises? Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an interesting reading last night and this morning.

BG reading before dinner - 6.2
Finished dinner by 21:45 - had grilled salmon and steamed broccoli ( this is the best I can do for low carb meal :)
BG reading just before going to bed at 23:30 - 7.3
All looked good so far and obviously ate nothing after dinner.
Expected fasting BG reading in morning to be definitely below 7 but it turned out to be 8.0

So looks like it was a dawn syndrome case this morning. Not really sure what to do in this case. Any advises? Thanks.

Is it possible to have your evening meal a bit earlier?

The protein in the meal may well have helped with the overnight rise.

Do you generally wake during the night, perhaps for a visit to the loo? If so, you could try a test at that time. It may help you analyse what is going on overnight. I am not suggesting you wake yourself on purpose - that might defeat the object as disturbed sleep is a factor with morning readings.

Reactions: gj256