Monitoring type 2

Kazz01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi all
I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 and my Gp wants me to try to treat using diet & exercise. I recently went to see diabetic nurse within the practice to discuss my diagnosis and gain awareness re future treatment options I asked about the need for monitoring my sugar levels and was told this is not necessary as it's more a treatment for type 1 when I queried this I was told they (I'm assuming she meant herself and Gp practice) don't think it's necessary as it's "time consuming, pricey for strips and only makes the patient more worried"
Do you agree l? or do those with type 2 think that testing your glucose levels is an important part of your treatment?
Has anyone else had this advice from go practice and if you disagreed would you buy your own monitor?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found having a meter very useful indeed - it confirmed which foods to avoid, showed me how I was succeeding and that when I should be sticking to eating a low carb diet I was doing no good for my numbers if I ate too many grapes or strawberries, and how long it took to get back to where I had been.
Far from worrying it was comforting to have that as backup - and I saw the meter in lidl with 75 strips for under £30 so it was an easy purchase, and I have bought another 3X75 sets from Germany (I think) which, as I don't need to test all the time now should last a good long time.
I started out as full blown diabetic with a 'very bad' Hba1c test of 91 - according to the doctor. By the second test I was not even in the diabetic range - by one number, but I'd expected to be working on that for a year, not less than 3 months.

Reactions: Kazz01

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi all
I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 and my Gp wants me to try to treat using diet & exercise. I recently went to see diabetic nurse within the practice to discuss my diagnosis and gain awareness re future treatment options I asked about the need for monitoring my sugar levels and was told this is not necessary as it's more a treatment for type 1 when I queried this I was told they (I'm assuming she meant herself and Gp practice) don't think it's necessary as it's "time consuming, pricey for strips and only makes the patient more worried"
Do you agree l? or do those with type 2 think that testing your glucose levels is an important part of your treatment?
Has anyone else had this advice from go practice and if you disagreed would you buy your own monitor?
Hello, @Kazz01 and welcome.
It would appear that you have been given the standard T2 info commonly used by NHS GPs and nurses. It is often due to them wanting to reduce costs.
As a newly diagnosed T2, you could argue that it would be helpful to be able to know which foods are causing rises in your blood glucose. There is some information regarding this in my signature.
Alternatively, you good buy your own meter and strips. Many here use Codefree. Info here...
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...oll-or-mgdl/?gclid=CMPkz5j1wdMCFcIK0wodRtwPvQ

The information from @daisy1 for new members should be posted here soon too. Have a read, and come back with any questions you may have.

Kazz01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thank you for replying ️ Have to say I was puzzled by this attitude and my argument is that we are all different and our blood sugars react different to foods even those that are typically classified as healthy. How can I treat my condition with diet if I'm not fully equipped with the knowledge of how food affect my sugar levels - it's like asking someone to build a house without any tools. I am going to make an other appointment with my Gp to discuss this and if he doesn't prescribe it I'm going to buy my own. Thank you for confirming my opinion x

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you for replying ️ Have to say I was puzzled by this attitude and my argument is that we are all different and our blood sugars react different to foods even those that are typically classified as healthy. How can I treat my condition with diet if I'm not fully equipped with the knowledge of how food affect my sugar levels - it's like asking someone to build a house without any tools. I am going to make an other appointment with my Gp to discuss this and if he doesn't prescribe it I'm going to buy my own. Thank you for confirming my opinion x
If you are hoping to get the meter and strips on prescription, the best argument could be that until you know which foods are affecting your blood glucose levels you will not be able to manage your condition by diet. Be wary of the diet advice they give you, too. Most probably you will be told to have carbohydrates such as wholemeal bread, pasta, brown rice and potato, with every meal. Remember all carbohydrates break down to glucose. If you are trying to lower blood glucose levels, adding in more glucose is not a good idea.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Kazz01 .. and welcome
Sounds highly unlikely that you will be given a meter and/or test strips by your surgery .. and you can translate all their reasons into the simple issue .. they don't have the money (or they don't want to spend it) .. I think it's probably true that most people have the same experience as you. However ..

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @Pipp has already tagged @ daisy1 for you and I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

For testing, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I was also told self testing would make me more worried. In fact having a meter (self funded) makes me much less worried.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A meter is essential or you will be working blind. Just smile sweetly at your doctor when he refuses, nod your head, then go home and order one.

Hotpepper20000

My gps advice was to eat healthy foods 3 times a day - very helpful lol x
Lol I got that line too.
"healthy" is not the same for all!
Fruit is healthy for some one who isn't diabetic. As is whole grains.
I was eating what most of the population considers "healthy" but it was not for me.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
As many have said all ready, without buying my own kit and testing totally against my doctor and practice nurse's advice it is I believe one very important part of learning about what is going on inside your body, it also helps once you get to readings that you want to keep you there as it is so very easy to let things slide. I do not agree that it has made me overly anxious about my glucose levels, it has helped to teach me what I need to do to get good readings, it still helps me to keep on knowing what is going on and I believe my kit is vital to my taking good care of myself and my health - as my doctor informed me it is my health and my responsibility and they only offer advice - whether I listen and take that advice is up to me.......... So I choose not to listen to them and do things my way - they do not like it and we have had some long debates on the pro's and con's and had to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

paintylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told that self testing could make me obsessed to which I replied that I feel being a little obsessed with how different foods affect my body was probably a good thing! My meter allows me to be in control, to be informed about what my bg is doing and how the changes I make affect me. (I've only had it a couple of weeks, only diagnosed 7)
Also I went to a Desmond day and was the only one there who has chosen lchf and self testing, good thing I'm used to being regarded as a bit odd!! The strange thing was that most of the others had been diagnosed longer than me but didn't seem to have any clue of what things they needed to do except avoid sugar and get some exercise.
They are happy to tell us that we are responsible for managing our diabetes but don't seem able to really support us if we decide (through research) to take our own control rather than just follow their guidelines. I don't blame my gp for not providing a meter or strips, or giving me a leaflet advising starchy carbs with every meal but it's frustrating.
I would say if you can afford it and are OK with pricking your finger regularly then a meter will help you find your way.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kazz01

Hello Kazz and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Kph103

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I've had the same experience except my GP encouraged me to buy a self test machine but the head diabetes nurse is against it. I told her that I had already bought one and been testing every morning ( only diagnosed 2 weeks ago) she suggested that I cut it down to just a couple of times a week.
I do understand to a point her reasons for saying this as my readings are quite high and I was getting a bit upset that the readings, taken first thing in the morning,were up and down so much .

Reactions: Liam1955

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had the same experience except my GP encouraged me to buy a self test machine but the head diabetes nurse is against it. I told her that I had already bought one and been testing every morning ( only diagnosed 2 weeks ago) she suggested that I cut it down to just a couple of times a week.
I do understand to a point her reasons for saying this as my readings are quite high and I was getting a bit upset that the readings, taken first thing in the morning,were up and down so much .
Did she also bother to explain "dawn phenomenon" which is highly likely to be the cause of your high morning readings?
Probably not.. put it in the search box at the top of the page and you'll find out why its better to test right before you eat and then 2 hours after to get a better view on what your sugars do compared to what you eat. You want to try and achieve less than a 2 mmol/l rise. My FBG (Fasting Blood Glucose) readings, i.e. first thing in the morning were the last to drop so measure more often before and after food to see what causes your blood to spike. It will usually be high carb meals so try to avoid carbs and you'll get your bloods under control.

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On the other hand. ....I didn't test. .at all. ...instead I followed a diet promoted by an American group who advocated the removal of ALL carbs...and the consumption of High Fat. That was January. ...I am now considered 'non' diabetic because my levels dropped quickly and easily because I followed the diet....and didn't once use a meter. ..that sounds was done for me at the surgery every month.....But hey ho.....these newbies won't listen and love to inflict the rest of us T2s with their dogma. Relax and follow the advice. ..and don't put the wrong stuff in your mouth!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing to get under control are your meals - test before and then two hours after starting to eat and you can fine tune your diet to give a rise of two whole number or less. Over time I saw my numbers going down and down and got excellent results at my second test. I took a reading tonight and got 5.8, which was quite a surprise, and then 7.3 later, so an increase of 1.5 - great results. I am not sure if and when I will get another blood test at the hospital but I hope to be able to drop down to non diabetic numbers just to have no danger of consequences.
Without a meter I would have no idea at all what progress I am making.