Mood swings

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if it's part of the T1D condition or just me being a moody barstool, but I'm experiencing some quite severe mood swings since diagnosis (3 weeks).

One minute I'm superman and I'm going to kick Diabetes' ass, and the next I'm down in the depths and can't even contemplate dealing with all the counting, calculating and general Diabetes nonsense.

A friend of mine who was in hospital at the same time as me has been diagnosed with cancer....Pancreatic cancer. I know, the irony isn't lost on me. He has 6-12 months to live. I go from thinking I got away with a lucky escape given his situation to just wanting to put my head in my hands and sob.

I'm not expecting any magic bits of advise, I just needed to vent I suppose.

I'll get over this stage but it's a real roller coaster ride at the moment and I'm just trying to keep it together for the sake of my wife and kids.

Reactions: 5 people
J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Yep......am there too .....but I don't see how we get passed this bit....I think it stays with us all till the end...only some people seemed to have it done
And others just hide it well till they pop ...

Am at point of ripping heads off ....and inserting foot in to asses......one wrong word to me and you will have limb taken off you and used on you to beat you like a piñata .......
But rest of time ...am really nice ........but am still in the not excepting part ....plus I don't follow diet....I don't keep to insulin ...don't see the point -stage

So bud.....vent away and scream like you just don't care !!!! Forum is here to have your rants and thoughts .......cos no point doing it to fam...as they just don't get it .....not. When you told in mid 30s like you and me
Just under a month for me now since told DKA T1D

Yay me lol

But yes vent away ......and I am sure one of the wise will be along soon to give you thought and a moment to wonder on ts more .....the wise ...being the long term diabetics who been on the ride a. Long time

Reactions: 2 people

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jonny.

One of my problems is I'm the opposite of you when it comes to my Diabetes management, I'm absolutely obsessed with making sure everything is logged and my carb count is bang on. I take my insulin when I should and follow all the instructions given to me by my DSN.

When I'm not doing that I'm reading about it and watching YouTube videos about it. It's just part of my slightly obsessive personality I suppose, but I can't wait until the day comes when it's there in the background and not front and centre of everything I do.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It sounds to me like alot of what your feeling is due to fluctuating blood glucose levels, I felt rotten in my first year and went to the docs as I thought I was going mad, he said it was due to going high and low all the time, I'm guessing your levels are like this ? If so it would make sense, once they stabilise your moods will come good, it will get better ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks Jonny.

One of my problems is I'm the opposite of you when it comes to my Diabetes management, I'm absolutely obsessed with making sure everything is logged and my carb count is bang on. I take my insulin when I should and follow all the instructions given to me by my DSN.

When I'm not doing that I'm reading about it and watching YouTube videos about it. It's just part of my slightly obsessive personality I suppose, but I can't wait until the day comes when it's there in the background and not front and centre of everything I do.

Yes me too had to read as much as possible, know as much as I could and just not feel overwhelmed or bewildered by it all, sounds like you are doing a top job. I keep saying it but we are all different therefore our coping strategies are all unique, but it's finding what works for you best, come here and vent and share your feelings, it will help ;)

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Oh I have done that ....I was running at 8.8 most time after dinner I had the count down to a tea.....
Now ...just starting not to care about it anymore ....
I was reading everything I picked up ....and seeing how many cards a bit would be and such...that in end mad me mad and unhappy seeing all the things I am not meant to have
So ...I am going to have it and I will have as much as I please

But ....that's me.....I think I had carb count burn out and still do

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long have you been diagnosed Jonny?

I've heard about burnout but I'm determined to stay as healthy as I can for as long as I can so I can provide for my family.

I think one of my problems is I also have an Immunodeficiency that also needs management, and I spend 2-3 hours injecting for that over the weekend.

On top of that I have Ménière's disease which has burned out to a degree but is still always there in the background.

I work full time and have two children so the whole Diabetes situation has been like another full time job!

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Owing to being crippled in feet I can no longer do the. Work I once did
That the other auto immune I have RA

Right got to do my radio show ...so back in few hours

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read your post on 'Newly Diagnosed' thread. Apologies I didn't know you had so many other complications.

Sounds like you've really been through the ringer and spat back out the other side.

Please look after yourself

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi FrankieAngels and welcome to the Forum. You've found the best place for help, advice and support. I'm 7 months down this rocky road and suffered all sorts of emotions when I was first diagnosed. I cried, buried my head in the sand, got angry (why me, what had I done to deserve this?), read everything I could find, until I found I couldn't take anymore in, I was becoming overloaded. I've now accepted my lot and get a kick out of having a good day with bg levels staying within my target. I no longer wake up with the first thought being "I'm diabetic" :arghh: I'm amazed at how well I've adapted to this new life, but that's not to say I won't fall flat on my face next week or next month or next year, that's the nature of the beast. I still have it very much in the back of my mind, but find that keeping myself busy, pushes the little demon out of my mind. Let your feelings out, it'll do you good and help with the acceptance of a life dependent on Insulin - a depressing thought for anyone to cope with. Give yourself some time, we humans are amazingly adaptable at turning our hand to all sorts of things, like stabbing our fingers, injecting, carb counting, worrying about bg levels and so on. I never imagined I'd have to get used to all this rubbish, but I'm getting there. As other people have said, this is not a sprint, but a marathon and us newbies are on a huge learning curve.

Be patient, rant and rave now and then, that's natural, but have the confidence to know it does get better with time or so I'm told;)

Reactions: 4 people

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks June, I'm on the up this afternoon but it's a real rollercoaster at the moment. I'm sure things will settle into a routine soon.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thanks June, I'm on the up this afternoon but it's a real rollercoaster at the moment. I'm sure things will settle into a routine soon.
As I said, try to be patient, you may find the extreme ups and downs even out quite quickly or you may find it takes a while, but, most importantly, know that things will get better eventually. After the initial fear and anger, I took it all in my stride, only to find that three months later, I was in the depths of despair, wanting to give absolutely anything not to be diabetic. I no longer think that way, but that's not to say I won't have those feelings again further down the line on perhaps a bad day. I think all of us Ds have to learn to take one day at a time, as even the most experienced have their bad days as diabetes can be unpredictable at times and throw an unexpected bg reading that surprises the living day lights out of us, well me anyway. I think what's helped me is to learn how to be adaptable, try to learn what I've done wrong and then move on.

I've come to the conclusion that diabetes is sadly a part of my life now, annoying, a pain in the butt and definitely something I could do without, but I'm stuck with it, so I have to deal with it or face the consequences, which I have no intention of doing.

Best of luck on your journey. :)

type1forever

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been t1 for 7 yrs this year and the MOOD SWINGS have only recently the last year hit with full vein bursting force. It affects my relationship with my partner and puts strain on everything.
first time I have wrote on a site but no one gets it luke another diabetic

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have been t1 for 7 yrs this year and the MOOD SWINGS have only recently the last year hit with full vein bursting force. It affects my relationship with my partner and puts strain on everything.
I'm sorry, but I don't think your post is particularly helpful to a newbie. Us newcomers need help and support. We don't need to be told that 7 years on we could possibly experience blinding mood swings. I'm not doubting your experiences for one moment, but negative feelings have no place in a thread that is trying to encourage and support a newcomer. Sorry to be blunt.

type1forever

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
everyone is different I didn't intend to affend or upset however I thought everyone was welcome to vent.....

type1forever

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I simple meant I have been experiencing the same recently and have not before. I may have been t1 for 7 yrs but it's all still very new and changing all the time for me too. didn't mean to ruffle feathers

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
everyone is different I didn't intend to affend or upset however I thought everyone was welcome to vent.....
Yes we are, but venting as you put and telling a newcomer what they might expect 7 years on, has, in my opinion, no place in a thread from a newcomer. It's a negative response. I received the most fantastic support and advice from the forum when I was first diagnosed and would have been dismayed to receive a post like yours. Anyway, I've had my say and I appreciate that you didn't mean any harm.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Diabetes can be blamed for many things, but I think regarding mood swings that sometimes its not recognised that other factors are influencing the mood swings.

If it is feeling depressed because of constant monitoring, complications etc.... Then that is directly diabetes related.

Sometimes though its looking at other factors that are contributing.

I personally think that mindfulness from the diabetic and others around (relationships) that can also impact. Eg... When I've forgotten where I've left my handset for my pump and want to eat I can get aggitated at anybody because it's possible to think "I hate this, everytime I eat!". This can then impact on partners or others. However, being mindful about this...
1) its not the end of the world;
2) i'm alive and can eat;
3) its not partners fault I mislaid my handset;
4) he's spent time cooking snd preparing dinner, so why should I ruin it for a 30 second annoyance at myself?

Only a small minor example but it could be a lot worse!!!

So full vein bursting is not necessarily a diabetes direct problem.... Yes, it can impact but learning to realise and deal with life with diabetes is important.

Life is for living, and learning from good and bad times... But please be aware that although diabetes has an impact perhaps sometimes its realising that diabetes does not make us..... Our live, warmth, understanding and mindfulness is what makes us.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
As I said, try to be patient, you may find the extreme ups and downs even out quite quickly or you may find it takes a while, but, most importantly, know that things will get better eventually. After the initial fear and anger, I took it all in my stride, only to find that three months later, I was in the depths of despair, wanting to give absolutely anything not to be diabetic. I no longer think that way, but that's not to say I won't have those feelings again further down the line on perhaps a bad day. I think all of us Ds have to learn to take one day at a time, as even the most experienced have their bad days as diabetes can be unpredictable at times and throw an unexpected bg reading that surprises the living day lights out of us, well me anyway. I think what's helped me is to learn how to be adaptable, try to learn what I've done wrong and then move on.

I've come to the conclusion that diabetes is sadly a part of my life now, annoying, a pain in the butt and definitely something I could do without, but I'm stuck with it, so I have to deal with it or face the consequences, which I have no intention of doing.

Best of luck on your journey. :)

Great advice. Superb post