More than one meter

merylann

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 2 on insulin.just wondering if most people have one meter or more than one? I just have the one given by my gp nurse.just worried if anything goes wrong or when the battery needs replacing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Most of the time, I use visually read strips: either Betackek Visual or Glucoflex-R. (http://www.betachek.com/uk/) Both are available on prescription, though only the latter is currently available from high street chemists.

If there were a serious disagreement between the reading they give and the reading of a meter, then I would always doubt the validity of the meter reading.

The visually read strips can be cut with scissors. The result is a blood test around 1/20th of the cost using a meter. However, they're not too precise for readings over around 8mmol/l. So to make best use of them, your blood sugar needs to be quite well controlled.

Last edited by a moderator:

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I should think they would. (For each visual test, you're NOT using a relatively expensive meter-read stick; so that's less cost for the NHS.) But the meter-free strips are so economical, you could buy them yourself anyway.

I slightly prefer Betachek Visual to Glucoflex-R. (Though there isn't a lot of difference.) And if you pay for them yourself, you can purchase them from the site I refered you to. They should arrive in a few days.

C

catherinecherub

Would i ring abbot to send a spare battery.it's the freestyle optimum i have

Meter manufacturers used to send batteries but the Royal Mail has stopped that practice as they now come under the heading of restricted goods.
You can buy the batteries in most shops.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have three meters: the one prescribed by my GP's surgery, one supplied free by a manufacturer whose expensive strips my GP won't prescribe, and my dear old first-ever meter that is a little cracked and unreliable it its firing ability and adds an exciting flavour of Russian roulette to the boring business of BG testing. All three use the same round flat batteries that you can buy in most chemists and supermarkets. I do try to keep a supply of spare batteries, but they're a lot easier to lose than spare meters.

If you're well-organised you're probably fine with just one meter and a spare battery or two. However, it can be helpful to double-check an unexpectedly high or low reading on a different meter.

Kate

merylann

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou.i've just looked at the visual ones.£20 with shipping.what's the shelf life of them if i'm only using as a backup,so won't get used too often

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
The use-by date on the Betachek Visual which I purchased a couple of months ago is August 2015.

The Glucoflex-R which I got from the chemist last week has a July 2015 use-by date.

You may find them more useful than you perhaps expect. I wouldn't keep them on the shelf.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
If National Diagnostic Products are watching this, I hope they'll send me some shares in their company.